"Lost" Footpaths

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

"Lost" Footpaths

#1 Post by Christel »

Taken from the Telegraph.
Members of the public can claim lost public footpaths by producing historical maps as evidence. But the Government has set a cut-off date of 2026 for claims to be made, which has caused a rush to map historic paths.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb

Excellent tool.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: "Lost" Footpaths

#2 Post by 1066 »

That's a good find Christel.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
falco67

#3 Post by falco67 »

Many years ago when I worked for British Coal, It was one of my duties to oversee the footpaths that were in the Colliery Curtilage and to ensure that they were kept reasonably clear for walkers. In addition to this, the County Council employed a footpath walker whose job it was to walk every footpath once a year to ensure that the path could not be closed due to non use. Some landowners would quite happily plough them over and generally make life difficult for walkers. I'm sure this is still the case and I'm sure the paid footpath walker has long since ceased to be!

Certainly since the Colliery closed the footpaths are now built over and do not exist.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Coming from the other side of the pond I grew up with having access to the country side, all of it.

When I moved here I found the "stick to the footpaths scenario" rather strange.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

In Scotland the right to roam killed off all the rights of way which has led to no end of bother as the right to roam is not the same as rights of access which has been denied by what used to be rights of way being built over, fenced off, dug up etc causing no end of grief for those it impacted 'pon..

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Around here the farmers kill the crop if a footpath crosses it. At first glance it seems harsh, however it is probably the best way to ensure people stick to the paths. Sadly people also feel like they have a right to roam and a couple of signs designed to protect edges had been smashed down by people who know better during the first lock down.

As an aside, I saw a poorly prepared couple walking down the footpath this afternoon so the three Labradors were held back until they passed and the woman passed comment on how she disliked dogs whilst her partner looked at me very carefully. I felt like pointing out they were Labradors, not Lurchers and we were out for a walk, not poaching.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

falco67 wrote:Many years ago when I worked for British Coal, It was one of my duties to oversee the footpaths that were in the Colliery Curtilage and to ensure that they were kept reasonably clear for walkers. In addition to this, the County Council employed a footpath walker whose job it was to walk every footpath once a year to ensure that the path could not be closed due to non use. Some landowners would quite happily plough them over and generally make life difficult for walkers. I'm sure this is still the case and I'm sure the paid footpath walker has long since ceased to be!

Certainly since the Colliery closed the footpaths are now built over and do not exist.

Even if they are built over, they can still be reclaimed under the process Christel linked to. We have a couple of issue round here - I have forced TfL to remove lockable gates from at least one and have a few others in my sights at present.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.