Muntjac eyes when lamping

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Muntjac eyes when lamping

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Before everyone goes WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I was not out lamping Muntjac because it is not lawful plus I do not shoot the things very often. If I do see them under the lamp I just ignore them, same goes for Hares and other stuff.

Last night I was coming home from a good walk with one of the Labs and had to resort to a cap lamp for the last half mile or so. I spotted a movement in the undergrowth by the path and looked and there maybe a couple of yards away were a pair of reflected vivid blue eyes. I am 99% sure it was a Muntjac kid however the eyes threw me. Has anyone spotted a young Muntjac under the lamp and if so can you remember the reflected eye colour?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Muntjac eyes when lamping

#2 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum, future mis-posts will be removed!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Would they always be the same colour? Dogs have different colour eye reflections after all i've seen green, blue, red, yellow and every shade in between
DVC
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Talking to someone today I do wonder if it was due to using an LED lamp
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
and evil little buggers if cornered :p lots around here, must admit have never noticed the eyes in the dark, although we have a couple that stick their heads into the hedge as you drive past them ( not realising that their arses are hanging out in the road in plain view shakeshout )
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

kennyc wrote:
shugie wrote:An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
and evil little buggers if cornered :p lots around here, must admit have never noticed the eyes in the dark, although we have a couple that stick their heads into the hedge as you drive past them ( not realising that their arses are hanging out in the road in plain view shakeshout )
I've seen them in our garden occasionally, they can fit through the holes the badgers have battered in our fences. I shall avoid trying to corner one.
Careful now/that sort of thing
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#8 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:
kennyc wrote:
I've seen them in our garden occasionally, they can fit through the holes the badgers have battered in our fences. I shall avoid trying to corner one.
spikes in every direction! I have seen dogs with very nasty scars from dancing with munties !
I have also seen the little buggers step behind a garden plant and disappear! amazing combination of small size, natural camoflage and sneakiness, no wonder they are so succesful.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Wolds have a fair few yet they are not that commons to spot by day. We watched one for 45 minutes as it stood about 90 yards away with it's head in a hedge, I blinked and it disappeared only to appear maybe 10 yards further up.
/d

Shed Journal