The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds
Before everyone goes WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I was not out lamping Muntjac because it is not lawful plus I do not shoot the things very often. If I do see them under the lamp I just ignore them, same goes for Hares and other stuff.

Last night I was coming home from a good walk with one of the Labs and had to resort to a cap lamp for the last half mile or so. I spotted a movement in the undergrowth by the path and looked and there maybe a couple of yards away were a pair of reflected vivid blue eyes. I am 99% sure it was a Muntjac kid however the eyes threw me. Has anyone spotted a young Muntjac under the lamp and if so can you remember the reflected eye colour?

_________________
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:57 am
Posts: 19034
Location: Sutherland and Co Durham
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. HBSA full voting member. Durham Constabulary Gun Club Catterick. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.
Moved to correct forum, future mis-posts will be removed!

_________________
Image

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Reunite Grogu

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 am 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm
Posts: 7063
Location: Co. Durham
Home club or Range: N.E. P.S.G., 3 Counties Sporting Club, Galloway Small Arms Club and various IPSC clubs around the country
Would they always be the same colour? Dogs have different colour eye reflections after all i've seen green, blue, red, yellow and every shade in between

_________________
Mark
DVC


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:51 am 
Offline
Past Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 1520
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:00 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds
Talking to someone today I do wonder if it was due to using an LED lamp

_________________
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm
Posts: 2330
Location: Reading West Berks
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC
shugie wrote:
An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
and evil little buggers if cornered :p lots around here, must admit have never noticed the eyes in the dark, although we have a couple that stick their heads into the hedge as you drive past them ( not realising that their arses are hanging out in the road in plain view shakeshout )


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:05 pm 
Offline
Past Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 1520
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
kennyc wrote:
shugie wrote:
An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
and evil little buggers if cornered :p lots around here, must admit have never noticed the eyes in the dark, although we have a couple that stick their heads into the hedge as you drive past them ( not realising that their arses are hanging out in the road in plain view shakeshout )


I've seen them in our garden occasionally, they can fit through the holes the badgers have battered in our fences. I shall avoid trying to corner one.

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm
Posts: 2330
Location: Reading West Berks
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC
shugie wrote:
kennyc wrote:
shugie wrote:
An Asian barking muntjac has weird blue eyes, there was a zoo in the Chilterns had some, strange even in daylight. Friendly little things if raised in captivity.
and evil little buggers if cornered :p lots around here, must admit have never noticed the eyes in the dark, although we have a couple that stick their heads into the hedge as you drive past them ( not realising that their arses are hanging out in the road in plain view shakeshout )


I've seen them in our garden occasionally, they can fit through the holes the badgers have battered in our fences. I shall avoid trying to corner one.
spikes in every direction! I have seen dogs with very nasty scars from dancing with munties !
I have also seen the little buggers step behind a garden plant and disappear! amazing combination of small size, natural camoflage and sneakiness, no wonder they are so succesful.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:41 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds
The Wolds have a fair few yet they are not that commons to spot by day. We watched one for 45 minutes as it stood about 90 yards away with it's head in a hedge, I blinked and it disappeared only to appear maybe 10 yards further up.

_________________
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group