Trail Cameras

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
DL.

Re: Trail Cameras

#11 Post by DL. »

That, Sir, is bowfing. Please pass the eye bleach!

Is it just me or was there the sound of a space ship taking off! :squirrel:

If I get any similar pictures on my trail cam I will be horrified, but the population density is a bit more forgiving up here.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#12 Post by 25Pdr »

1066 wrote:The standard camouflage must work ok. I caught this on my camera last summer, gave me quite a shock when I saw it. This is the edited version, trust me you wouldn't like to see or hear the whole thing. It's a cheap Aldi special at around £70.
https://youtu.be/iVjl1oCPqLg
I think she was in my class at school. :p lol
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#13 Post by TomH »

Is that your garden 1066?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

I think she knew damn fine where the camera was.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by 1066 »

TomH wrote:Is that your garden 1066?
:) No, but it's a little plot I shoot and this was a dog walker who shouldn't have been there at all.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#16 Post by TomH »

1066 wrote:
TomH wrote:Is that your garden 1066?
:) No, but it's a little plot I shoot and this was a dog walker who shouldn't have been there at all.
Don't think she walks the dog far, by the size of that arse.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#17 Post by Maggot »

That was truly horrid but not surprising.

Trail cams have their uses however what people forget is that they were designed for catching animals and not humans.

I recently did a trial across several and the head and shoulders winner was the Bushnell aggressor no glow

http://bushnell.com/hunting/trail-camer ... or-no-glow

Why no glow? Most units use 88Nm IR that glows and are fairly obvious to the human eye, my wife spotted one immediately (Bushnell Essential HD).

The Aggressor uses a 940Nm unit with enough oomph to punch out further than many of the 880 units (higher wavelength is often harder to see but shorter range).

It also has a good long detection range that deals well with crossing as well as head on targets.

It also has a very high resolution which is where its usefulness comes in. Most of these are designed to be set at 6 feet above the deck or so, human eyeline. IF you have good res, decent IR and good PIR and IR reach, the res will allow you to mount the unit higher and still get a decent image, however...beware baseball caps. Or mount low and cam up well.

IR at night is always a problem as most people look totally different and many non mil cammo paterns are rendered useless as they dont reflect IR so look like plain material.

The Agressor also does audio and works reasonably well on a vehicle at angles up to about 30 deg.

The issue with the GSM ones is that although ideally you may get an image of the perp, a lot of these units depend on 3rd party servers or operate in areas that are remote and often cannot get enough bandwidth or signal to be reliable.

for cammo....ivy covered tree/artificial Ivy, or cover with sniper tape and glue moss to it. You will be surprised just how quickly they melt, but if a person is surveillance aware you are going to have to be a bit lucky/clever.
DL.

#18 Post by DL. »

One thing that crossed my mind is that if poachers are using night vision, they may well be able to see the camera that way.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

You don't even need proper nightvision to see the IR on trail-cams, most camcorders and phone cameras can see it too :bad:
DVC
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#20 Post by swotty »

1066 wrote:The standard camouflage must work ok. I caught this on my camera last summer, gave me quite a shock when I saw it. This is the edited version, trust me you wouldn't like to see or hear the whole thing. It's a cheap Aldi special at around £70.
https://youtu.be/iVjl1oCPqLg

That's horrifying! I was thinking of getting a trail cam but based on your experience i'm not so sure now ;-)