Badger cull to go ahead

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Badger cull to go ahead

#151 Post by meles meles »

Dougan wrote:an autopsy?

A necropsy, ooman, a necropsy. We can't look into ourself once we are shot / splattered can we ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dougan

#152 Post by Dougan »

meles meles wrote:
Dougan wrote:an autopsy?

A necropsy, ooman, a necropsy. We can't look into ourself once we are shot / splattered can we ?
I stand corrected (just googled necropsy)! :lol:
Jenks

#153 Post by Jenks »

Some interesting letters here....

7:00AM BST 13 Oct 201290 Comments
SIR – The Government’s pilot “controlled shooting” of badgers in Gloucestershire and Somerset has rightly stirred up public concern.
The Wildlife Trusts recognise the hardship that bovine tuberculosis causes the farming community and the need to find the right mechanisms to control it.
In the long term it is clear that a vaccine for cattle could play a part in the solution. EU regulations now prevent one being deployed in this country, but the vaccine is available and being tested abroad.
While this is resolved, there are solutions available that do not involve culling. Improved biosecurity and cattle controls can reduce the risk of infection and transmission. A badger vaccine is available now and the Wildlife Trusts are leading the way on its deployment.
We urge the Prime Minister to withdraw the controlled shooting licences, help farmers with improved biosecurity, commit itself to a badger vaccination strategy and push for changes to allow the cattle vaccine. Only then will we be able to get on top of this disease in an effective way.

Simon King
President, The Wildlife Trusts
Newark, Nottinghamshire

SIR – In the 1990s I was a beef farmer at Castle Leslie in mid-Ulster when there was a county-wide badger cull in Monaghan to control the high incidence of TB being detected during routine testing of cattle.
I only properly became aware of the cull when professionally made snares laid around established setts were discovered. I had about 18 setts located through the woods and though some badgers appeared healthy, I often came across dying and diseased young creatures existing pathetically in states of appalling misery.
After the cull a region-wide immediate and dramatic drop in the detection of TB “reactors” in cattle was noted. It is a fact which is officially on record.

Tarka Leslie-King
Pentridge, Dorset

SIR – The independent scientific group’s final report stated: “Badger culling can make no meaningful contribution to cattle TB control.”
Mark Richards
Newcastle, Staffordshire

SIR – Perhaps there would be more level-headed thinking if those violently opposing the badger cull saw the actual slaughter of a herd of fine cattle. As a second choice, the BBC could show the slaughter of a herd and a badger being shot to bring a little realism into the debate.

Richard Kellaway
Woolavington, Somerset

SIR – On Country File last Sunday I noted mink were being culled to protect water voles. Why is there an uproar about culling badgers to save cows and farmers’ livelihoods, but no expense spared in culling mink to save watervoles?

Diana Foulkes
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
GlenLivet

#154 Post by GlenLivet »

Seems a great pity to kill the Badgers that are not infected with the disease. A lot of shooters I've met over the years do have a soft spot for them. After all are they not our UK wildlife emblem ? I have some under my shed and feed them regularly. Even those folks locally who are quite observant do not even know they are there as the Badgers seem to keep themselves to themselves... I would feel it quite distasteful to have to shoot a badger but in some respects even apart from the disease aspect they can be very destructive re their incessant digging. Seeing the destruction to what was quite a flat lawn on a Caravan site in North Wales was quite unbelievable and extensive and I would quite understand it if the owner had those badgers shot because I feel quite sure the damage will continue perhaps for years hence a shooter I know in that area saying some farmers tell him -'get rid of the buggers' ! However I know him to be a cruel and insensitive individual.
I am told under good authority that the rear leg of a badger is quite nice to eat but I don't think I'd be persuaded to try it , or a grey squirrel for that matter.... I'll stick to the bunnies and those things with antlers............. bangbang
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#155 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would happily eat Greys, dice 'em up, coat with seasoned flour and pan fry. At least it is organic....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#156 Post by Dougan »

ovenpaa wrote:I would happily eat Greys, dice 'em up, coat with seasoned flour and pan fry. At least it is organic....
The squirrels that come to my feeder eat so many peanuts that if you pan fried them they'd come out ready satayed!

I've eaten squirrel; it's not bad, but dog is better...and when you think about it, there are an awful lot of unwanted dogs.......
Christel
Site Admin

#157 Post by Christel »

ready satayed
:lol: :lol:
meles meles

#158 Post by meles meles »

*scowls*
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Dougan

#159 Post by Dougan »

meles meles wrote:*scowls*
Don't worry my stripy friend; I am only messing about...and when the ugly issue of the badger cull raises it's head again I will be putting my 'serious hat' on ;)

Obviously I'm not being serious about eating stray dogs (just trying to wind Ovenpaa up :twisted: ), and I ate squirrel once to try it when abroad....

...I actually deliberately feed the squirrels that come to my garden, and wouldn't want to see any harm come to them - there are 3, and one of them is getting quite fat and tame.....a few weeks ago, after I hadn't filled their feeder for a few days, he actually came up the patio windows, looked straight at us, and stood up chattering and stamping his feet! - they're great entertainment :grin:
meles meles

#160 Post by meles meles »

*phew*
Badger
Badger Korporashun