Fox problem

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Scotsgun

Re: Fox problem

#41 Post by Scotsgun »

TobyH wrote:I've been told that when gralloching dear your supposed to bury the guts etc. That was on my DSC1 course...
Depends. I shoot on some land were they want the pluck left for the birds of prey. They want it left out and on top of rocks, etc.

Chuck it under a hedge or low tree and i guarantee it won't be there 24hrs later. Badgers, foxes, etc...they're all partial to a pluck.
The Deer Hunter

#42 Post by The Deer Hunter »

TobyH wrote:I've been told that when gralloching dear your supposed to bury the guts etc. That was on my DSC1 course...
Is that the wife then? :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist. :D
Dalgo

#43 Post by Dalgo »

May be a tad late to this but try cheap aftershave.

If it's a male/family then they will scent mark to establish their territory. Any part of the garden you can smell the foxes, spray the aftershave around to mess up the scent (you can sometimes see the scent marks stained on walls and fences).

Worked for us.

-Dalgo

Edit: Also the thing of foxes killing cats is a bit of a myth (now hear me out on this). I am sure that if a fox is hungry enough and got the jump on the cat/kitten it would have a go. Foxes (especially urban types) will primarily scavange. If they happen to come across a cat that is already dead then they will obviously take the free meal ticket. People then see a fox with a cat in its mouth and assume the worst....just saying. :|
Dave 101

#44 Post by Dave 101 »

I believe foxes would readily eat a cat or if not eat at least kill with no problems ,. Many years ago I woke about 4 am on a summers morning to a noise in the front garden , I looked out to see a fox going from side to side around a hydranger bush , it had chased a cat in there ,the cat decided to make a run for it , several houses away across the road and over a six foot fence ,it made its escape but that fox meant business .

Dave
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#45 Post by Ovenpaa »

We live out in the boonies and do have a few foxes around, our old Tabby would not back down for any dog and would often walk across the fields with us, fair to say he was a very big cat but he always came home unscathed. Of course this does not mean he did not nip up the nearest tree if confronted by a fox that meant business.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#46 Post by Mike357 »

Carcass disposal? Sell it to the local kebab shop.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Dave 101

#47 Post by Dave 101 »

I came home from work last night to find the bird bath up side down on the lawn , this is a heavy moulded concrete one that looks like a clam shell on a pedastal of 3 dolphins , it just has a short steel dowel to locate the parts . Last year I did see a fox standing up with its front paws on the rim whilst it was drinking the water so I wonder if thats what has happened this time . As I went back in the kitchen door I glanced at the bucket of water that has been there for a couple of weeks to water the plants but didnt get used due to the rain .
It was only about half an inch from the rim full of water but yesterday it was 2" down so I reckon foxy has been drinking that instead .

Dave
tikkathreebarrels

#48 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:So burying Charlie is not allowed
If you have killed a wild animal as vermin or to reduce the population, you need to dispose of carcasses appropriately.
What does appropriately mean in this instance?

Probably the same as in the NRA regs for RCO's dealing with a misfire round which doesn't go bang. From memory it's something like "take possession of the round and return it to the owner at the end of the detail for him to dispose of appropriately."a Which seems to mean if there's deep water chuck it in, if it's a big soft field push it straight in. Or, if you're a squaddie just drop it in the bottom of the fire trench and leave it for the civvies at the weekend.

Coming back to Charley/Toby/Matey, surely every farmer has "a pit"? Nothing to say you shouldn't push it down the nearest big smelly hole you can find is there?

Alernatively, why not gut it, bag it and pop it in your freezer until you can give it to the taxidermist? :lol: :lol:
tikkathreebarrels

#49 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:So burying Charlie is not allowed
If you have killed a wild animal as vermin or to reduce the population, you need to dispose of carcasses appropriately.
What does appropriately mean in this instance?

Probably the same as in the NRA regs for RCO's dealing with a misfire round which doesn't go bang. From memory it's something like "take possession of the round and return it to the owner at the end of the detail for him to dispose of appropriately."a Which seems to mean if there's deep water chuck it in, if it's a big soft field push it straight in. Or, if you're a squaddie just drop it in the bottom of the fire trench and leave it for the civvies at the weekend.

Coming back to Charley/Toby/Matey, surely every farmer has "a pit"? Nothing to say you shouldn't push it down the nearest big smelly hole you can find is there?

Alernatively, why not gut it, bag it and pop it in your freezer until you can give it to the taxidermist? :lol: :lol:
tikkathreebarrels

#50 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:
You must not bury any animal carcasses or parts of carcasses on your land. This applies to dead farmed and wild animals and birds.

However, you are allowed to bury dead pets on your own premises or in an authorised pet cemetery or landfill site.

You can only bury carcasses or parts of carcasses in certain circumstances, such as when a disease outbreak occurs or in designated remote areas. Even if you have permission to bury carcasses you will have to comply with certain restrictions.
Good God! Can't do this on your own land, can't do that on your own land, unless of course you're a townie with a dead gerbil.Too many jobsworths for sure. 1 metre down in most places gets you into subsoil. And yes, I appreciate that if dobbin trips and pops his clogs you need to go down a bit so that his fetlocks aren't sticking out of the ground.