Opinions on thermal?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Opinions on thermal?

#21 Post by Sixshot6 »

Didn't the use of Night Vision equipment for stalking emerge due to certain countries, jurisdictions, etc emerge due to bans on use of lights while night hunting (I remember a good story from a New Yorker about getting around that by hunting by moon light) Anyone want to prove me wrong?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#22 Post by kennyc »

Sixshot6 wrote:Didn't the use of Night Vision equipment for stalking emerge due to certain countries, jurisdictions, etc emerge due to bans on use of lights while night hunting (I remember a good story from a New Yorker about getting around that by hunting by moon light) Anyone want to prove me wrong?
stalking, as connected with Deer is illegal from 1 hr after sunset to 1hr before sunrise, night shooting of deer is only allowed with a special license, fox's on the other hand are fair game at any time of day or night, same with bunnies bangbang
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#23 Post by meles meles »

Why the different regulations for different species?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#24 Post by Demonic69 »

Bambi deserves a better night's sleep?
kennyc

#25 Post by kennyc »

meles meles wrote:Why the different regulations for different species?
no idea, guess there is more money to be made poaching Deer at night than shooting fox's?
PS any chance of teaching your kin the highway code? I must have seen 20+ flattened on the roads around here in the last month!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#26 Post by meles meles »

Oddly enough, big chicken, it's been found that many of our kin found by the roadside succumbed to transcutaneous lead ingestion rather than being predated by Fordus Focus. It's a good place to dispose of illegally shot kreechers...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
kennyc

#27 Post by kennyc »

meles meles wrote:Oddly enough, big chicken, it's been found that many of our kin found by the roadside succumbed to transcutaneous lead ingestion rather than being predated by Fordus Focus. It's a good place to dispose of illegally shot kreechers...
Nah, not around here, this is cull by Michelin country razz

going slightly off topic,I had to help a couple of young Rozzers a few years ago,by lifting an injured an injured Badger into the boot of their car, funny thing was, they weren't at all keen on getting near it, but the poor girl who had hit it was almost hysterical about it going to a vets, and I was in a devilish mood so wrapped it in an old blanket and hoisted it aboard (I swear I could hear them muttering "b**tard" behind me :D )
my good deed for the day done, I buggered off quickly to avoid having to lift it back out for them at the other end O:-)
they really didn't look happy about their passenger lol
bigfathairybiker

#28 Post by bigfathairybiker »

A bloke at my club builds night vision kit to fit existing scopes for about £50.
Bit heath robinson.. but works.
I've had a look during the day and am quite amazed at what else can be seen.

oh... dave didn't last long...

Mark
extendor
Home club or Range: torbay full bore

#29 Post by extendor »

Quick question for you based on me already having a Flir thermal camera I use for work purposes. It is good at seeing heat sources but dreadful at seeing detail in terrain and environmental/background heat so would someone shoot safely into a backstop you cannot see. Do you mean an image intensifier which will make the most of the light you have?
Maggot

#30 Post by Maggot »

Thats a bit of a given in most applications, it depends what the resulution is, range etc.

One of our squadrons went totally nocturnal for 6 months in Germany. Th elocals hated us night flying so it was all a bit academic goodjob

The had to re write the AFV reccog manual for tank killers with refference to heat signiatures as opposed to physical features.

When's a BTR60 not a BTR60....when its as black as a witches tit!! teanews

For our purposes its more of a monitoring tool, pick up where they are and get there quietly, the advantage being it is not dependant on ambient and wont need 880Nm sources to light the quary.....even 950Nm can be seen by some.

The other advantage is its a cammo buster to a point. Most things can hide by day or night, but its harder to hide a heat sig, and keeping stick still wont always solve the problem unless you are physically screened. Humans might think like that, animals....? ;)