mini McQueens

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
rox

Re: mini McQueens

#11 Post by rox »

Demonic69 wrote:everything could be run off stepper motors.
Any reason to use steppers in preference to Servos?

Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#12 Post by Demonic69 »

ovenpaa wrote:
Demonic69 wrote:I was just thinking the very same thing. The code wouldn't be too difficult, everything could be run off stepper motors. Not sure if they're detecting the sound of a shot or the pressure of a hit if there is any
Not sure they would need to do either, once the competition has started the sequence should run regardless of how the shooter is doing.

It does look like a lot of fun.
So just show a target for a fixed time? That would be simple then. Does anyone have details on the course of fire, timings, random targets etc?
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#13 Post by Thorney »

dromia wrote:If anyone is knocking such a system up them would be interested in one.
Yeah me too.
Demonic69

#14 Post by Demonic69 »

rox wrote:
Demonic69 wrote:everything could be run off stepper motors.
Any reason to use steppers in preference to Servos?

Not really, a servo would serve just as well, might use a bit more current but probably negligible.
Demonic69

#15 Post by Demonic69 »

It was actually servos I was thinking of, I'm playing with stepper motors for something else :-)
Checked the course of fire, seems easy enough 10 random targets shown between 5 and 20 seconds apart for 3 seconds each, one shot at each target.
Not sure a micro servo would manage, could be looking at £50 just in servos to start
Demonic69

#16 Post by Demonic69 »

Unless you figure out a system of turning 2 targets by one servo, maybe with a slip type linkage... Hmmm
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#17 Post by HALODIN »

A bell crank would do it.
Demonic69 wrote:Unless you figure out a system of turning 2 targets by one servo, maybe with a slip type linkage... Hmmm
Demonic69

#18 Post by Demonic69 »

I may need a picture :-)
I actually think a normal dual arm would work if you fitted a disc to the bottom of the mechanism. In neutral both would be out, 90 degrees one way would have one showing and the other 180 degrees from the hole.
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

Demonic69 wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:
Demonic69 wrote:I was just thinking the very same thing. The code wouldn't be too difficult, everything could be run off stepper motors. Not sure if they're detecting the sound of a shot or the pressure of a hit if there is any
Not sure they would need to do either, once the competition has started the sequence should run regardless of how the shooter is doing.

It does look like a lot of fun.
So just show a target for a fixed time? That would be simple then. Does anyone have details on the course of fire, timings, random targets etc?
Ovenpaa is right; it's a pre-programmed course of fire - Once the 'go' button is pressed there are 10 random exposures of 3 seconds, with 7 to 10 seconds between exposures; the same as the normal (full scale shot at 200 or 300 yards) McQueens...if you miss an exposure, the course will continue (again same as normal)...it just means that when the lollipop sticks are collected, there'll only be 9 shots to score.

It's basically a scaled down automated version of the real thing - Interestingly the only difference is that it is truly random (the way the controller unit is programmed) - In normal McQueens the lollipops are being put in the widows by a marker, and it is rare that they will used any window more than once, where as with the automated unit it can often repeat a window...I had the same window show 3 times once...which keeps you on your toes :grin:
Demonic69

#20 Post by Demonic69 »

Cheers Dougan, should be easy to code for then.
How much would an interested party be willing to pay for a setup? I'm not interested in making a profit, just seeing if the expectations match up to the parts costs