mini McQueens

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: mini McQueens

#41 Post by M99 »

Likewise I would purchase one
Charlie Muggins

#42 Post by Charlie Muggins »

Out of interest what's wrong with the tiny (cheap) plastic-geared servos, at least for a prototype? It's not like they're under any great load, and duration of load is very small too.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#43 Post by Demonic69 »

That's what I've gone for Charlie, not the tiny ones but small with a decent amount of torque
Dougan

#44 Post by Dougan »

Demonic69 wrote:I get you, the controller should be available for many years, the servos would be pretty standard so should be readily available online.
I'm thinking removable wood in 3 sections, then the unit would split into 3 sections that fold flat.
Contained electronics and wires with connectors between sections.
Does anyone have an idea of dimensions, targets and the whole shebang?
The Mini McQueen targets are a scaled down version of the full-bore ones - The gentleman who runs the comps at Bisley has them made on adhesive paper so they stick straight on...as below:
MMQ b.jpg
The small-bore animal targets, and eccentrics (where the scoring rings are drawn to one side) would be really cool on this system...as you wouldn't know where the aiming point was going to be before the target turned...
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#45 Post by TattooedGun »

I was going to look into doing this, but it seems people have raced way ahead of me...

If anyone needs help with the coding, I have (limited) experience in coding for arduino, but a lifetime of experience with coding/logic in general so can help debug, or draft up the coding if needed.

Might have to have a go at putting one (or 4 so we could have competitions at the 4 lane range) together in 2015...

If anyone works out the target sizes, and/or puts a target sheet together for standard "sticky labels" be sure to share... ;)
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#46 Post by mag41uk »

The target is one quarter scale huns head.
22mmq shot at 50 yards full size at 200 yards.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#47 Post by JSC »

Dougan wrote:
The small-bore animal targets, and eccentrics (where the scoring rings are drawn to one side) would be really cool on this system...as you wouldn't know where the aiming point was going to be before the target turned...
But you don't know which target is going to appear each time, so that's not really a consideration.
Demonic69

#48 Post by Demonic69 »

TattooedGun wrote:I was going to look into doing this, but it seems people have raced way ahead of me...

If anyone needs help with the coding, I have (limited) experience in coding for arduino, but a lifetime of experience with coding/logic in general so can help debug, or draft up the coding if needed.
I'm not bad with coding for the arduino but I might run it past you if I get stuck or want it checking if that's ok?
Dougan

#49 Post by Dougan »

JSC wrote:
Dougan wrote:
But you don't know which target is going to appear each time, so that's not really a consideration.
That's the whole point JSC - With the standard target you know the aiming point (the V-bull) is always going to be in the center...so when the target appears at a random window you already know you are going to aim at the middle of the target; just takes a second to refine your aim and pull the trigger...but with an eccentric target, you wouldn't know whether the bull was going to be at the bottom, top, left or right of the target...

...given only 3 seconds, this would add an extra thing to think about...and you could even program the exposure time to 2 seconds to make it even harder...

...another type of target that would be good on short exposures is the old 'good guy, bad guy targets' ...shoot a bad guy, gain points, shoot a good guy lose points; and you could have a few with 'hostage' type images to make it tricky...

...with a bit of imagination there's a lot of fun you could have with this target system tongueout
Demonic69

#50 Post by Demonic69 »

The targets themselves would be totally up to the user so anything would be possible. Could make for some interesting competitions!
If people are happy with using an android phone I could design it to be programmed and activated via an app over Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is another option if I could setup a simple web server on the arduino