Amazing colourised WW2 photos.....

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Amazing colourised WW2 photos.....

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

Some amazing work done to bring the past to life, mostly Russian armed forces as the colourist is Russian......

https://klimbim2014.wordpress.com/category/world-war-2/

Liberation of Stalingrad 1943

Hero of The Soviet Union Vasily Zaitsev, Stalingrad 1943

Hero of The Soviet Union Lyudmila Pavlichenko, 309 confirmed sniper kills
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Amazing colourised WW2 photos.....

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had no idea there were as many images of Roza Shanina.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:I had no idea there were as many images of Roza Shanina.
It's quite sobering when you think she was only 20 years old when she was killed.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

My Mrs is Russian, it’s interesting talking to her about the war as the version of it they were taught in school is rather different to what actually happened. No mention of penal battalions, etc and nothing about what they got up to in Berlin during the final few weeks. Or how the Russian soldiers who were captured were treated when the eventually got back home.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Rockhopper wrote:My Mrs is Russian, it’s interesting talking to her about the war as the version of it they were taught in school is rather different to what actually happened. No mention of penal battalions, etc and nothing about what they got up to in Berlin during the final few weeks. Or how the Russian soldiers who were captured were treated when the eventually got back home.
I didn't think posting about colourised photos would lead to that!.

Russia wasn't alone in having penal battalions, to be fair they needed every able-bodied man they could put into combat.

And "what they got up to in Berlin" wasn't just a Russian thing, it now appears that soldiers of the US Army in Germany were also at it.
And very seldomly is anything heard about the "less than gentlemanly" behaviour of British soldiers in the days of the British Empire, particularly in India for example.It is worth pointing out that the version we have been taught could with all probability also very different to what actually occured.

ordnance

#6 Post by ordnance »

And very seldomly is anything heard about the "less than gentlemanly" behaviour of British soldiers in the days of the British Empire, particularly in India for example.It is worth pointing out that the version we have been taught could with all probability also very different to what actually occured.
Any examples of what we were taught about WW2 that are very different to what actually happened. ?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

ordnance wrote:
Any examples of what we were taught about WW2 that are very different to what actually happened. ?
I meant history in general, not just WW2.One thing I do know is that when I was taught WW2 history at school in the early '80s there was no mention about the war on the Eastern Front whatsoever.

I originally posted about colourised WW2 photos and it has turned into something else, that's not why I made the original post.

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#8 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:
ordnance wrote:
I meant history in general, not just WW2.One thing I do know is that when I was taught WW2 history at school in the early '80s there was no mention about the war on the Eastern Front whatsoever.

I originally posted about colourised WW2 photos and it has turned into something else, that's not why I made the original post.
that is an indictment of your teachers and the Education system, when I learnt about WW2 it was the 60's and we were taught about pretty much all of the Wars aspects, admittedly I had the benefit of a mother who lived through the Liverpool bombing raids. Uncles who had been on the Artic convoys (and torpedoed in at least one case multiple times) fathers of friends, and people I worked with (in the 80's) who had been POWs in Germany and of the Japanese, the whole thing was within living memory and had not been "whitewashed" in the way it is now.
My late father in law was sent to this country on the Kindertransports and remembered seeing Hitler and Mussolini in Berlin on the stage at a rally!
as a kid every week there was a TV programme" all our yesterdays" that recounted the news stories of 25 years ago to the day using newsreel and papers, I find the lack of knowledge and interest in the subject (beyound Call of Duty ! ) to be terrible ! no wonder there are people happily claiming the concentration camps are a fake!
and even some that claim Katyn was a fake ! (one of the NKVD's busier days )
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

I wish I haven't bothered now.......

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:I wish I haven't bothered now.......
not what you wanted to hear? sorry