USS Gerald R Ford

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Christel
Site Admin

USS Gerald R Ford

#1 Post by Christel »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/1 ... d-anchors/

That must be quite a sight to see that coming around the corner :)
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Re: USS Gerald R Ford

#2 Post by Itskeith »

Definitely enough to put you off your golf swing!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

One missile in the right place and it's an expensive ornament for the fish to play in. teanews
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#4 Post by hitchphil »

The pubs in Portsmouth & Southampton will be feisty tonight! cheers
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?

#5 Post by 1066 »

I remember seeing the Nimitz in Chesapeake Bay when she was just launched in the early '70's - Quite awe-inspiring really.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#6 Post by Plumose »

Les wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:05 pm One missile in the right place and it's an expensive ornament for the fish to play in. teanews
And if done in a suitable place/depth would get lots of divers visiting too
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

1066, it must have been...isn't it the biggest warship in the world, or at least close?

#8 Post by 1066 »

Christel wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:37 pm 1066, it must have been...isn't it the biggest warship in the world, or at least close?
I believe it was at the time. I was on a smallish 30,000 ton tanker, running between various ports in the Caribbean and up the Chesapeake Bay to Maryland in a regular 3 week cycle. It was winter-time and the difference in temperature between steaming up the Florida coast in the golf stream to a couple of days later into sub-zero was mind numbing.

Although I later served on ships twice the weight of the Nimitz at over 2000,000tonnes they never looked quite so dramatic as most of the bulk was under water.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

1066, did you experience the hurricane season then?

#10 Post by 1066 »

Christel wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:03 pm 1066, did you experience the hurricane season then?
Yes, indeed. I was on another Shell Tanker, SS Asprella carrying volatile chemicals on a regular run from Stanlow UK to Puerto Rico, it was a regular five week round trip. As it was a regular run the ship was a "weather ship" sending in regular reports to the met office so the Atlantic weather charts could be drawn up.
The reports were compiled and transmitted every four hours by morse code. Every aspect was broken down into 5 letter blocks for transmission, sea temp, air temp, pressure, cloud type, cloud height, humidity, dew point, cloud coverage, wind speed etc.etc. It used to take most of the four hours to compile the data and as soon as it had been sent off, you started again.

In the hurricane season we would be asked to gather specific data and sometime had to send in two hourly reports. Highest wind speeds I encountered was around 140mph.

This was in the late '60's, early 70's, it seems so archaic now with the weather charts being printed out on teletype machines. And the first computerised radar being programmed with punch card rolls.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com