50 Cal explosion

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

50 Cal explosion

#1 Post by Les »

Somebody must have a very potent guardian angel! 5mith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1449kJKxlMQ
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

Re: 50 Cal explosion

#2 Post by Ncb2734 »

He must have....... didn't look that bad in the video. That scar though
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Yeh I saw this on one of the facebook pages, the guy is lucky to have his eyes and fingers... ..

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

I'm amazed how short the cap retaining thread was............certainly for a 50 cal.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
simong
Home club or Range: Saxon

#5 Post by simong »

Morning Peeps,

Note to self:
Must ensure that I know what i'm putting through bang stick !

Good job my wifey hasn't seen this, otherwise " see told you those toys are dangerous" would be the comment of the day 8-)

Best
The Greek
Suffolk champion...50 mtr precision flinching champion

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

Where did the projectile end up? Did it get lodged in the barrel? Fall limply to earth 50 metres away? Or given the kick, 5 miles distant?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello

Jeez that must have been pretty hair raising ! talk about being lucky.
I know that this was not his reloading, but this video should be shown to all would be cowboy reloaders, and very clearly illustrates the catastrophic effects of a dangerously overloaded case.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#8 Post by DaveB »

The important thing to remember is that the Cart .50in SLAP M903 (Saboted Light Armour Penetrator) is issued in belts (with the SLAP-T round M962) for the M2 Browning machine gun and similar weapons systems. They are not issued as single rounds for use in the various .50in anti-materiel rifles. There is a good reason for this.

Cartridge .50in SLAP M903 or Cart .50in SLAP-T M962 should NOT be fired through any weapon system employing a muzzle brake or a suppressor. There is a known tendency for the 'petals' of the sabot to be retained in the muzzle brake or suppressor and these can form a blockage. Since the only way a normal human can fire a rifle of that calibre is if it is equipped with an efficient muzzle brake, this would seem to contra-indicate the use of these rounds in said rifles.

Now I am not saying for sure that this is what happened in this case, we are not shown enough to make that determination, but it is one possibility. Also, as he noted in the video these rounds came through some pretty dodgy channels, and God only knows from where and when. Occasionally rounds are disposed-of because they are unsafe and on occasion, untrustworthy individuals have sold this dangerous ammunition into private hands.
mpblytma
Home club or Range: TNHR

#9 Post by mpblytma »

DaveB wrote:The important thing to remember is that the Cart .50in SLAP M903 (Saboted Light Armour Penetrator) is issued in belts (with the SLAP-T round M962) for the M2 Browning machine gun and similar weapons systems. They are not issued as single rounds for use in the various .50in anti-materiel rifles. There is a good reason for this.

Cartridge .50in SLAP M903 or Cart .50in SLAP-T M962 should NOT be fired through any weapon system employing a muzzle brake or a suppressor. There is a known tendency for the 'petals' of the sabot to be retained in the muzzle brake or suppressor and these can form a blockage. Since the only way a normal human can fire a rifle of that calibre is if it is equipped with an efficient muzzle brake, this would seem to contra-indicate the use of these rounds in said rifles.
I wasn't aware of that limitation. Sure the video poster wasn't as well!
If anything good is to come out of the situation it may help raise awareness. Might be worth dropping the guy a message, so he can update his "lessons learnt / aftermath" video.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

The thing that made me laugh...
"It was a freak accident. There is nothing I could have done to prevent this"
..... proceeds to load a round of unknown origin! wallhead