test

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: test

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

You can either pressure knurl or cut knurl, I use the pressure knurl process with two knurling wheels, I am tempted to move to cut knurling however the tooling is super expensive and not easy to set up. The really annoying part is I can get perfect results time on time and then suddenly I just rip the bloody surface to pieces and the part is scrapped. Very frustrating...
At the moment most of my attempts at turning turn out like that. The Guy at work is Super busy at the moment doing some thing with a University down South. But today I went to Cromwell tools with a list. Then I was given several pieces of scrap bar stock and some tuition. I have been gazing at them all day the finish is so good you could all most use them for a mirror. I just wish I could remember what he showed me old age is not for the faint hearted. Believe me. :roll:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

Machined finishes are not a real problem, it is just down to cutter profile and feed/speed. As the majority of my work is from 6mm to 34mm diameter my speeds do not vary hugely and I run my finishing cuts at the lowest possible feed speed. I seem to use more DCGT cutters than DCMT cutters of around 0.2 and 0.4 radius. I also use these with fine stainless work as they cut as opposed to push the material away.

This is just what works for me and the jobs I do, if I was hacking up large lumps of cast it would be very different.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Fredbloggs

#13 Post by Fredbloggs »

Ovenpaa

I have attached a copy of the Myford lathe manual, I have broken it into 3 PDF,s as it was to big to attach as one file. I would assume that the limit is 5Meg.

Hope this is of use to someone if they want to buy your lathe.

Best regards

Fred

Ps will post 2 other sections shortly.

PPs My first lathe was a ML7, great piece of kit, only reason sold it was lack of space due to the other two lathes in the shed, A boxford and a Harrison L5A. :shakeshout:
Attachments
MyfordmanualPart[1].pdf
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Fredbloggs

#14 Post by Fredbloggs »

Update

It seems that the limit for down loads is 3 meg as it just crashed my laptop!!

Will re PDF into 4 file of less than 3 Meg each.

Fred
Fredbloggs

#15 Post by Fredbloggs »

Ovenpaa

Part 2 of the Myford Manual

Fred
Attachments
MyfordmanualPart[2].pdf
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Fredbloggs

#16 Post by Fredbloggs »

Ovenpaa

Part 3

Fred
Attachments
MyfordmanualPart[3].pdf
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
Fredbloggs

#17 Post by Fredbloggs »

Ovenpaa

Part 4

Fred
Attachments
MyfordmanualPart[4].pdf
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa why DCGT as opposed to DCMT.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Fred, many thanks for the manuals, always handy even though I am selling the little Myford.

Alpha, it is all down to the job. Today I was using DCGX 11 T3 04-AL inserts (Sandvik) Quite pricey however the results are superb and people like shiny things.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

Alpha, it is all down to the job. Today I was using DCGX 11 T3 04-AL inserts (Sandvik) Quite pricey however the results are superb and people like shiny things.
What would you recommend for getting a nice finish on silver steel or stainless.
I have CCMT and DCMT inserts and holders.