test

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: test

#21 Post by Christel »

Fredbloggs,

Size limit is 3.5 O:-)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

Silver steel is fun to machine, in its annealed state it is around 27-28 HRC (Rockwell) however it can be a bit higher however it machines OK.

Look for ISCAR DCGT 11T304 AS IC907, they are good for stainless, titanium and so on and are the ones Christel normally buys in and maybe she can explain the numbers and why she chooses them over others.

Here at the SHED Christel does all of the scheduling and does her utmost to keep me machining in batches, she also sources the cutters and is seldom wrong however this is down to our machining processes and needs and no doubt other people may go down a different avenue. For us accuracy and finish are the most important factors and go hand in hand with form and function.

I use 3/8" round silver steel for making my mandrels and can turn them to 3/10 or better when other people grind them, it just takes practice and a feel for the machine. I know you are new to your machine and turning in general so things will go pear shaped however persevere and work to strict personal tolerances, machining things you need and you will soon get the hang of it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Fredbloggs

#23 Post by Fredbloggs »

No probs

best regards

fred
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Silver steel is fun to machine, in its annealed state it is around 27-28 HRC (Rockwell) however it can be a bit higher however it machines OK.

Look for ISCAR DCGT 11T304 AS IC907, they are good for stainless, titanium and so on and are the ones Christel normally buys in and maybe she can explain the numbers and why she chooses them over others.

Here at the SHED Christel does all of the scheduling and does her utmost to keep me machining in batches, she also sources the cutters and is seldom wrong however this is down to our machining processes and needs and no doubt other people may go down a different avenue. For us accuracy and finish are the most important factors and go hand in hand with form and function.

I use 3/8" round silver steel for making my mandrels and can turn them to 3/10 or better when other people grind them, it just takes practice and a feel for the machine. I know you are new to your machine and turning in general so things will go pear shaped however persevere and work to strict personal tolerances, machining things you need and you will soon get the hang of it.
Ovenpaa do you power feed for finishing or by hand. I am getting conflicting reports one Guy is telling me to do it by hand the other is saying use the power feed.
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

Power feed, there is no way I can keep a consistent feed rate over a few inches let alone something longer without slowing or speeding up slightly at some point which will invariably lead to concentric rings. Also I never, ever finish with anything but the tool, so no sanding or wet and dry or similar, the finish is the one that comes from the cutter.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

I am sitting reading this with one of your bullet comparators in my hand. You got that finish using only the cutting tool. Bloody Hell. I have sourced some DCGT inserts 0.2 radius. so I am going to give them a try. I have been reading up on insert types and the different tool holders it is starting to make more sense now. I realize now that most of the cutters I have bought I have just looked at the material they are used for not the type of finish. Most if not all the inserts I have are for medium to rough cuts. So no wonder I can not get a reasonable finish. I am going to have another play after I have purchased some more inserts now that I have a better understanding of there use. Its all a learning curve. I am going to set the Lathe up for power feed I have sussed out how to use the chart for the change wheels now. Thanks for the input.
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

Thank you for the Myford Technical data down loads by the way very interesting. Sorry for hi jacking your thread.
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1, you should see the finish that can be achieved on a good quality stainless or titanium and the good news is once you understand how to do it then you should be able to repeat it every single time. Just practice and it will come to you.

What I will add is I do not rigidly stick to calculated feeds and speeds, after a while you can feed and hear and see what is working for you and more importantly your machine.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been playing with the power feed and different speeds and cutters. I have turned out the expander I was trying to make it took me two goes to get it right but its turned out very well at the second attempt. Its all shiny shiny as well I am well chuffed. Thanks for the help and advice.
Ovenpaa

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

Pictures?
/d

Shed Journal