The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion.
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:55 pm 

Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
Thunderbird is the e-mail client I'd like to forget and Geary looks even more basic than Thunderbird... Linux needs something comparable to Outlook. I've been using Linux since Redhat 4.2 which was about 19 years ago and I've tried to make the switch as my primary desktop loads of times, but it's never good enough. I got so p*** off with not having a Linux iTunes I even e-mailed Steve Jobs about it! Surprisingly he didn't reply...

safetyfirst wrote:
take a look at the new geary email client for Linux and don't forget thunderbird!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners Durham. The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. HBSA full voting member. Durham Constabulary Gun Club Catterick. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club
Horses for courses I think.

I really like Thunderbird and cannot abide outlook.

iTunes?

Isn't that something for a stuffy nose?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Reunite Gondwanaland

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:15 pm 

It depends on your expectations and whilst I could survive the e-mail client, the inability to put music on my iPhone was a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners Durham. The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. HBSA full voting member. Durham Constabulary Gun Club Catterick. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club
Digital music aaarggh

Music is far too important to be abused by a digital medium.

Do you have cloth ears?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Reunite Gondwanaland

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts, Grove Small Arms
Thunderbird beats them all, the search function is fantastic and sure does beat Outlook.

So...with the new upgrade I was asked if I wanted to make Outlook my primary email client, I gave the machine an answer I shan't repeat here :p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
Embarrassingly I have to admit to using Outlook, my choice would be a Linux based OS however I run too many Windows unique programs and life is too short to try and get reasonable results from WINE and I have a deep seated mistrust for virtual platforms so I am stuck with Windows for the foreseeable future.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:19 pm 

I always meant to try VMware's unity, where you can publish a virtualised application to the host operating system. So the theory goes... you could have Linux running VMware workstation and a windows virtual machine with iTunes and Outlook installed and then publish those apps to the Linux desktop. If the VM isn't running when you click on the published shortcuts, VMware will start the VM for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:28 pm 

I too try the Linux desktop every few years, very impressed with mint recently but the UNIX based OSX is perfect for me as a Linux server bod who still wants a nice desktop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:50 pm 

I love the spirit of Linux, it's just it lacks development. There was a big push around the time Oracle and IBM got involved, but the momentum has slowly tailed off. Shame really, it should have been a corporate alternative by now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:27 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
It is a corporate alternative in the form of quite a few distributions, I remember reading an article on a Police force who made the move a few years ago. The cost of move including hardware was less than the Microsoft licensing alone. Not sure if they made a go of it though...

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next