Flickr test

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Flickr test

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Equally there is nothing worse than trying to research something, you eventually find a reference to it, only to find all the pictures are missing.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Sadly that is the transient nature of digital media and the internet. If you want something to last and remain then neither will deliver that.

I spend far more time researching from books than I ever do on the internet.

Unfortunately quality reference publications, digital or printed seem a thing of the past, fortunately for me my areas of interest come from a time when the printed word was the norm so good source material is still available and will stay on my shelves far longer than such stuff will last on my hard drives or a "cloud".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

As much as I enjoy books when researching a subject I invariably start with the internet as a base reference, often out of frustration with the books I own. The Lee Enfield by Ian Skennerton is a prime example, a wealth of information badly organised and I only read it when all else fails. I also have a couple of 'definitive' books on Rook rifles that are so badly written they have been resigned to a dusty shelf.

Sad really.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Just because you are published, in print or digitally doesn't mean what is written is any good. However as anyone can publish on the netty then there is far more s*** to wade through in the vain hope of finding that nugget. Everyone seems to be an expert nowadays, all it takes is a you tube video. I came across a young person recently whose view for his future was going to be making his living from making youtube videos.

I have shelves full of stuff that I have printed from the netty due to my preference for reading from hard copies, reading on the screen for any length is not something I like, interestingly many of these internet sites and sources do not exist any more, as neither do the drives they were originally saved to. However my boxes of paper have lasted much longer.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by JSC »

This highlights the danger of relying on 'The Cloud', whatever form it takes. Remote servers and storage can go offline, get hacked, go out of business, change their terms of business and something you've been relying on is no longer there.

These free hosting services need to make money or they'll go out of business and you'll lose your hosting anyway.

Nothing is free in this world.
Odd Job

#16 Post by Odd Job »

The nice thing about an image hosting site is you can upload an image only once and share it on multiple boards. Useful if you are looking for help with a problem on multiple sites.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

Odd Job wrote:The nice thing about an image hosting site is you can upload an image only once and share it on multiple boards. Useful if you are looking for help with a problem on multiple sites.
I can do that from my computer.
So if I understand this correctly you take a picture up load it to one of these hosting sites I assume you crop it if required and resize the picture or what ever you decide is necessary. You then post links to the picture. Hopefuly the site does not go out of buisness or suddenly decide to charge you for access or what ever.
All my photos going back as far as probably 15 years ago are safely stored on hard drives.
I can do every thing a hosting site does from my computer and quicker. I can post shooting related pictures of Adam(Dromia) going back ten years if I want to.(Yes I know a horrible thing to do to you)
No thanks I will stick with my computer
dromia
Site Admin

#18 Post by dromia »

As you say Dave it isn't secure, I have all my photos on my hard drive as well so at least they are not hostage to the vagracies oft he net, just the short term issues of digital storage. Hosting just makes linking and sharing a lot easier. I have never trusted the netty and never expect anything posted or on the netty to stay for very long, broken links, old sites and dead forums all will disappear, even F-B UK will have its lifespan and disappear one day as will all the photos, posts and grief. Internet life is short, it is off the now only, permanency isn't valued these days, constant change which is at best just different rather than better and usually worse is the stuff of this age. Just live with it, attach no importance to it and use it for what it is.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#19 Post by Hrun »

Being old enough to remember when hard drives failed regularly, I like that my digital pics are mirrored remotely on a cloud drive, but I would never only keep them there for the reasons stated.

As for using them in posts, I resize and use the forum upload.. if I do not want to lose control of the rights I wod never post online, as someone will have an interest in them, and as has been said, looking at a useful archive post with the pictures missing is no help to anyone.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote:
Odd Job wrote:The nice thing about an image hosting site is you can upload an image only once and share it on multiple boards. Useful if you are looking for help with a problem on multiple sites.
I can do that from my computer.
So if I understand this correctly you take a picture up load it to one of these hosting sites I assume you crop it if required and resize the picture or what ever you decide is necessary. You then post links to the picture. Hopefuly the site does not go out of buisness or suddenly decide to charge you for access or what ever.
All my photos going back as far as probably 15 years ago are safely stored on hard drives.
I can do every thing a hosting site does from my computer and quicker. I can post shooting related pictures of Adam(Dromia) going back ten years if I want to.(Yes I know a horrible thing to do to you)
No thanks I will stick with my computer
yes you can, but what when you want to share them somewhere other than this site? and hosting them does not replace the desire to save/store the image locally, it is purely used by me anyway, for sharing pictures. as for resizing etc, then if you do it on the hosted photo, you can leave the original as is, rather than either having multiple copies different sizes or constantly altering original images to different sizes to suit the purpose at the time.

also, if everyone uploaded pictures directly to this forum to be hosted, it would rapidly expand the size of the site, creating a bigger cost for hosting, when this could be offset to companies that offer it free of charge.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns