Broadband Q's

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
Dangermouse

Broadband Q's

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I have started a little on line gaming with my PS3 (Battlefield 3) - at the moment I am consistently losing to other players who can move and shoot faster than I can due to my Internet connection speed. So I wish to get a faster connection..

Can you have 2 different providers on the same phone line ie Sky for my everyday needs and Virgin plugged straight into the PS3?

I doubt you can, so can you have two "outs" from your provider in the same house?
The computer is plugged straight into the modem/wireless router up stairs and I use the wireless feature for gaming down stairs.
There is a phone jack next to the PS3, is it possible to have that connected to the PS3 direct and thus get the best out of what I already have. Possibly by buying a second Sky router and placing it "in line" or would the two routers be incompatible?

My PC does not have a wireless receiver, and due to the slow speeds it already sludges along at I would prefer not to slow things up any further by having my Internet wireless,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Broadband Q's

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

A couple of questions first off.
Can you get Virgin cable or is it through a phone line.
How fast is your broadband connection.
If you are going to play on line gaming you need a fast broadband connection. What you are getting is lag you need a faster broadband speed to cure the problem Battlefield3 is a very demanding game when played on line.
You might have to up rate your broadband with sky.
If you want your PC plugged in to your router that should be OK you should still be able to play on line on the ps3 wirelessly as long as you have a decent broadband speed.
My Grandson uses his ps3 using a sky wireless router while the rest of the house are on a plugged in PC and two wireless lap tops.

You could of bought the PC version then I could of shot you to bits.LOL
All though having said that you need a fairly high spec computer to be able to get the best out of Battlefield3.

I play all my games on the PC no consoles to worry about and the PC is plugged straight in to my router.
I am with virgin cable I pay the extra for a fast broadband package.
I can game or map on the PC while the rest of the house makes use of the fast wireless connection.
My guess is you need to up rate your sky broad band connection and get a new router.
If you can get Virgin cable then you should change to virgin. Cable is very quick and reliable.
JonC

#3 Post by JonC »

What speed is your internet connection? Most problems are caused by poor wifif speeds rather than a slow isp.

You can only have one ISP per phoneline. Unless you want to fork out for another set of line rantal your stuck with sky

One modem per line I am afraid. Only option would be to turn the upstairs one off when your using one downstairs, lots of hassle doing that.

The best solution is to run an ethernet cable downstairs, this will give you the best connection.
The next best solution is to use homeplugs. These plug into the power sockets, you then connect the ethernet port of the PS3, and a an ethernet port from you modem/hub to the oher end. Your PS3 will then connect to the modem/hub through your eklectrical wiring. I have used these at a couple of places to get a network connection into sheds and workshops.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

Or look into a dedicated gaming router. This will work as a normal one too but will need set up for your ISP.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

The home plugs are a option all though I dont think they are cheap. But they do work.
You could run a ethernet cable but that can be a chew on.
But either option will be a waste of time if you dont have a decent and a reasonably fast broadband connection.
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Download speed 1.7mb/s
Up load speed 0.25mb/s

Virgin can only supply via telephone line so I guess that is no better than Sky,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
JonC

#7 Post by JonC »

Any chance you can try the PS3 up stairs with an ethernet cable connecting it to the router? At least you will know if your connection is good enough, if that works then look at running a cable of homeplugs. The last set I got cost £50.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dangermouse wrote:Download speed 1.7mb/s
Up load speed 0.25mb/s

Virgin can only supply via telephone line so I guess that is no better than Sky,

DM
Ouch, that is pretty grim reading, what speed are you supposed to be getting?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#9 Post by Dangermouse »

Should be getting "up to" 10mb/s
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Virgin do 30Mb for under thirty quid/month if you have it in your area.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal