Which Lee Enfield?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Which Lee Enfield?

#11 Post by GeeRam »

Fedaykin wrote:A No.4 MKII for under £500 will be a challenge to find
MFL has 2 x No.4 listed for around the £450-500 mark, but no idea how good or not they will be.

Although one is listed as being through Faz in 1965 and regulated by Fultons at some point after that.

http://www.mflclassicfirearms.co.uk/liv ... g-firearms

They also have a P14 as well, same sort of price.
GeeRam

#12 Post by GeeRam »

Fedaykin wrote:When I got mine I went to EFD (my closest friend goes to the same rifle club as the owner so gave me an introduction) they had racks of No.4 available. If you go on their website now they have five No.4 available all outside your price range.
The guy that ran EFD died earlier this year, and it's not sure what the trading status of EFD currently is.
GeeRam

#13 Post by GeeRam »

Rockhopper wrote:How old are you?

Might seem a strange question but older shooters struggle with the SMLE as the rear sight is half way down the barrel which some people have problems with.
I was in that category, couldn't hit a barn door at 100yrds with a SMLE, much preferred the sight picture of the No.4 and No.5, but my eyesight has been rapidly changing, and when I shot my No.5 for the first time in 6 months last month, it was a real struggle to shoot it as well as I used to at 100yrds, and yet, having a go with a mates SMLE, that was a lot better than when I had last shot a SMLE a few years earlier..... kukkuk
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#14 Post by TomH »

GeeRam wrote:
Rockhopper wrote:How old are you?

Might seem a strange question but older shooters struggle with the SMLE as the rear sight is half way down the barrel which some people have problems with.
I was in that category, couldn't hit a barn door at 100yrds with a SMLE, much preferred the sight picture of the No.4 and No.5, but my eyesight has been rapidly changing, and when I shot my No.5 for the first time in 6 months last month, it was a real struggle to shoot it as well as I used to at 100yrds, and yet, having a go with a mates SMLE, that was a lot better than when I had last shot a SMLE a few years earlier..... kukkuk
I think lighting conditions, the type of target, background and the tiredness or lack of tiredness of your eyes have a lot to do with it. I certainly perform consistantly better with the aperture rear sight of No4/No5 Enfields or Skinner Rear Sight on my Marlin.
Whizzbang

#15 Post by Whizzbang »

Lots of good advice, thanks.
GeeRam

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Fedaykin wrote: P14 is an option, guy at my club consistently wins the Service rifle comp with his.
Our 900 yrds club shoot is often won by a member with his P17 with standard battle sights.
Dunc
Home club or Range: Marlow

#17 Post by Dunc »

GeeRam wrote:The guy that ran EFD died earlier this year, and it's not sure what the trading status of EFD currently is.
You're right. Geoffrey Organ did indeed die and his partner Paul Pangani now trades by himself as Paul Panagi Firearms. I bought a SMLE of him about a month ago. HTHs
Geoffrey Organ Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association
posted 1 Mar 2017, 04:23 by Tony Cattermole
HBSA member Geoffrey Organ passed away peacefully at home on the 18th January 2017 following a battle with cancer.

His son David has sent a message that there will be a Memorial service at the Oriental Club, London, on the 18th March, details attached below for any member who know him and wishing to attend.
speedthing
Home club or Range: HBRA

#18 Post by speedthing »

MFL Classic Fire Arms have a few NO4's for just under £500 and one is a MK2 they look to be in pretty nice condition. http://www.mflclassicfirearms.co.uk/liv ... g-firearms
derryMKXIII
Home club or Range: Wakefield Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by derryMKXIII »

There's a useful page on the LERA website that lists a fair few Enfield dealers, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link however.