Anybody here built a repro Mauser k98 sniper ?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Anybody here built a repro Mauser k98 sniper ?

#31 Post by Ovenpaa »

It would if I could date the 'scope which is a Pecar Champion 6x45
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#32 Post by breacher »

Ovenpaa wrote:It would if I could date the 'scope which is a Pecar Champion 6x45
Sadly, Champion are much later than 1955.

I have an advert from a 1955 US Gun Mag which shows their "existing" range of scopes ( fixed ) and "new" variable scopes. This indicates that the fixed mags scopes with moving reticle were established before 1955. Variable will be just a bit later.

The champion ( moving image ) is much later - 1970ish onwards.

So regardless of actual manufacture date, a fixed power pecar with moving reticle will be of a type known to be introduced prior to 1955.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ah, well luckily I have an older model however it is rather nice and tends to stay on a shelf. Not that I have any plans to head down to Bisley right now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher

#34 Post by breacher »

Ovenpaa wrote:Ah, well luckily I have an older model however it is rather nice and tends to stay on a shelf. Not that I have any plans to head down to Bisley right now.
They are lovely scopes with nice glass.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
breacher

#35 Post by breacher »

breacher wrote:Well, here it is. Norwegian refurb k98 in 30.06 - High turret mounts with early 1950s Pecar scope to shoot in NRA pre 1955 matches.

The scope swings off so I can use in in iron sight matches too.

Holy thread resurrection Batman lol

Finally got to use this in the matches it was bought and set up for ( I had a little trouble with one of the turret mount rings and had to get a replacement which was a pain for a number of reasons )

So, yesterday saw me shooting a k98 for the first time in competition and only the 2nd time in my life !!

And I am hooked shakeshout

I shot both the 200 yard pre 1955 iron sight match and the 200 yard pre 1955 open ( scoped ) match at Bisley - The Spring Action Weekend Gallery Rifle meeting.

The slippery steel buttplate and short LOP left it a little awkward for me but I coped ok getting most of the 40 rounds on the fig 11 using iron sights ( 10 slow and 10 fast, prone and sitting )

The windage on the scope ran out on me ( moving reticle and adjustable rear mount ) so I had to aim off by a couple of feet for the optic match but still done OK considering....... I think. Not a bad recovery considering both sighters were in the sand rather than the target.

Shot both matches back to back so after 84 rounds it was getting hot and the 30-06 was leaving its mark on me - only shot 30.06 once before in a semi auto Garand and forgot how kicky it can be !

This afternoon saw a little shimming work and I reckon I have the scope pointing where it should fingerscrossed

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#36 Post by GeeRam »

Just missed out on one of these the other week....... ****
GeeRam

#37 Post by GeeRam »

I now have a free 30-06 slot on my ticket, and I've just picked up a '50's/60's vintage Kahles 4 L2 scope for my future Norwegian capture K98 'sniper' project.

Just need to wait for the right rifle to turn up now.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#38 Post by dirtbag »

I have one that is "all correct" with the low turret mounts ,BYF 43 with Ziess Zielsechs (6x), had it a few years and still shoot it.

(Although not a true sniper) I also have a ZF41 that is less of a reproduction
The rifle is an AR 42, with a JVE marked type 1 Zf41 1.bowl with the DUV mount. The bottom of the mount warrants a wood cut-out as it sits below the Woodline of the stock, unlike the repros that don't.
Attachments
ZF41.jpg
K98LT.jpg
GeeRam

#39 Post by GeeRam »

GeeRam wrote:I now have a free 30-06 slot on my ticket, and I've just picked up a '50's/60's vintage Kahles 4 L2 scope for my future Norwegian capture K98 'sniper' project.

Just need to wait for the right rifle to turn up now.
Today I collected a lovely 1940 dated J P Sauer & Sohn made Norwegian capture K98. All matching numbers apart from the usual rear sight base, as these were always removed for conversion and very rarely put back on same rifle, plus the barrel bands, again not uncommon.

Woodwork looks to be dated 16th June 1940, so clearly just too late for it to have been actually used during the invasion of Norway.

These Norwegian capture K98's are really getting hard to find now, shame the Norwegians destroyed so many of them rather than sell them into civilian ownership :cry:

If anyone wants one, I know where there is a another J P Sauer & Sohn one for sale, but a 1939 dated one.
GeeRam

#40 Post by GeeRam »

breacher wrote: Shot both matches back to back so after 84 rounds it was getting hot and the 30-06 was leaving its mark on me - only shot 30.06 once before in a semi auto Garand and forgot how kicky it can be !
Got to shoot mine for the first time today, and yes, it doesn't take too many rounds through it to get chuffin hot.....and yes, they are quite kicky as well lol
Was even surprised to get a few 3 and a 4 in just a 10 round go at the end of our 300 yard club shoot, which with battle sights and my rubbish eyesight I was quite chuffed with.
Looking forward to getting it scoped now.