MAS 45 with scope

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

MAS 45 with scope

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I installed a Bushnell rimfire scope on my MAS 45 .22 rifle to see what kind of 50yd accuracy I might get. It was gusting about 20 MPH with changeable direction to the wind so I don't think I turned in my best efforts. I shot GI surplus Remington lead RN 40 gr, Remington 'golden bullet' and Aguila high speed. The golden bullet was the most accurate and the Aguila the least. Still and all it was an enjoyable time and because of the virus, only one other person was at the range complex. I slathered my hands frequently with sanitizer and so far seem to have avoided picking anything up.

A group of the MAS 45s were brought into the U.S. in the 90s in mint to unused condition, this being one of them. It is a fantastic shooter! The mount is a B-square and uses the holes for the rear sight as the mounting point.

Just for fun I took the Mini 14 along, always a fun little shooter.

Movement state-wide is restricted starting on Monday so I may or may not be going to the range in the near future.

Hope all are safe and healthy on your side of the pond!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: MAS 45 with scope

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

most of our ranges here are shut down. came under sports and entertainment closures which saw gyms and cinemas forced to close. Most people have to stay home if they can. although the printers I support has decided that they are a key site, as they print gvmt info - last thing was polling cards... go figure - so I'm now classed as a key worker it seems as I gotta keep their presses running.

curious, GI surplus .22 rf? what do they use .22rf for? and anything really different about it?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

That looks to be in absolutely perfect condition. I am slowly becoming a bit of a fan of the humble .22LR at longer distances. Cheap to feed and challenging to shoot, you can get some superb accuracy with time.

Training rifles? We have a self loading Sportco Model 71S which was used by the British Army, designated the L29A2 (From memory)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I have an original Mauser 45 in mint condition. The MAS is a copy of it. It shoots really small groups.
rufrdr

#5 Post by rufrdr »

bradaz11 wrote:most of our ranges here are shut down. came under sports and entertainment closures which saw gyms and cinemas forced to close. Most people have to stay home if they can. although the printers I support has decided that they are a key site, as they print gvmt info - last thing was polling cards... go figure - so I'm now classed as a key worker it seems as I gotta keep their presses running.

curious, GI surplus .22 rf? what do they use .22rf for? and anything really different about it?
Until fairly recently National Guard and Reserve units fired their M16s and M4s in their armories on indoor short distance ranges using M261 .22RF adapters. Then OSHA got involved and shut the ranges down due to inadequate ventilation and lead handling. The units would do actual range qual 1x a year and maintain proficiency with the .22 adapters.

Also, at one time the Army issued Ruger .22 auto pistols to units for competition purposes as well as .22RF target rifles. That all went away sometime in the 80s or 90s. My first unit in Germany in '78 had 6 Ruger Mk1 Government model target pistols in the unit arms room but no ammunition and no authorization to draw them for shooting. They eventually went away.

The CMP sold 1990s vintage .22LR Remington 40 gr RN lead ammo, 5k per carton for a really inexpensive price. The Army transferred all of their stock to them for sale to us civilians. I only bought one carton, wish I had bought more!

Jack Harper
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

thanks!
I knew we used training rifles, but I always imagined the US army had 223 so dirt cheap that they'd just use that to train
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
rufrdr

#7 Post by rufrdr »

bradaz11 wrote:thanks!
I knew we used training rifles, but I always imagined the US army had 223 so dirt cheap that they'd just use that to train

Range availability is the issue and not ammunition cost. Most National Guard and Reserve units are no where near a government range that is suitable for use. Once a year they will qualify during their annual training.

Now that the .22 option is gone, an electronic simulator range has been put into use. I did it several years ago, it is pretty realistic but in the end it is just a video game but, if it keeps weapons familiarity for the soldiers and airmen it is better than nothing.

Jack Harper
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Out of interest what sort of money are the MAS 45 going for now a days.

My Mauser 45 as been locked in the cabinet most of its life as I don,t do that type of shooting.
I am currently running underlever rifle and underlever comps at my local club on a Tuesday night. We get a lot of probationers turn up. The Club has over 150 members. Obviously they all want to have a go with an underlever but the ammunition cost puts them off.

So I Thought as a cheap alternative I would chuck the Mauser in the back of the car and took it along. What I found was the fact that it was fitted with a peep hole rear sight opened up a complete new learning curve for them and the accuracy at 25 yards was astonishing.
And now they turn up because they just want shoot the Mauser.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

How did you mount the scope base any chance of some more pictures. I guess you had to remove the original peep sight.