N.E.W Mosin update.......

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

N.E.W Mosin update.......

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

Well there's some good news......."The Duchess", as the old girl has come to be known, has passed the barbarity that is the proof test!.Just had a message to say it is being dropped off at my RFD today as the Birmingham Proofhouse want all completed work out the door as they are closing the gates on Thursday!.

It's a shame my RFD doesn't sell bread and milk as I could have popped in for a loaf, a pint and a 1915 Mosin! :p

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: N.E.W Mosin update.......

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Enjoy :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:Enjoy :)
Thank you, I will as soon as the range is open again and I can get up there :good:

Not a bad turnaround on proofhouse's part, less than a week!, that said they may have been quiet what with the ongoing situation at the moment.I did sort of resign myself to the fact that it could have potentially been there for many weeks!.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Very Very nice.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Cornish-Viking wrote:Very Very nice.
Thank you :good:.....to be honest the photo doesn't do her justice.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

I wonder why the barrel was removed.......

I have a pair of relic Russian F-1 grenade bodies sat on a shelf that came out of a back garden in St Petersburg/Leningrad that are particularly rough cast, chances are they were cast during The Siege Of Leningrad

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

A further update......

I was able to get to pick the old girl up yesterday as Minsterley Ranges reopened and I was able to finally put some rounds down the pipe.

With the rear sight set as low as it would go she shot around 8" high and slightly to the left but once I'd got my eye in and adjusted my point of aim according she didn't shoot too bad at all with most rounds in a 4" target, my having to correct my point of aim probably didn't help and I think that once she's had some more rounds through her and the action has settled she'll do nicely for a 105 year old rifle.

I could probably source a taller front sight blade that would bring the point of impact down but I'll leave it as it is, in the context of an infantry rifle with a "belt buckle aim" all shots would have been centre mass so she's still capable of doing what she was designed to do.

Will post up some decent pics when I get chance but back to work later today for the time since the 20th of March.

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#9 Post by daman »

That's a nice looking bang stick!

Would the bolt have been blued originally? or always in the white? (asking as I have seen something similar elsewhere)

-daman
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

daman wrote:That's a nice looking bang stick!

Would the bolt have been blued originally? or always in the white? (asking as I have seen something similar elsewhere)

-daman
Thank you :good:

The bolt is in "the white" as it would have left the factory.All Mosin bolts would have been un-blued originally but blued bolts turn up on Finn-marked Mosins and some Chinese Type-53's but the is some disagreement among collectors as to whether it was the Finns themselves that blued the bolts or whether it was done by the Germans who captured plenty of Mosins and subsequently shipped the to Finland.

There are also examples of Spanish Civil War Mosins with blued bolts but again there is some disagreement about who actually blued the bolts.

As a rule if a rifle stayed in Russia/USSR the bolt will be unblued, the majority of Finnish-captured/acquired Mosins will have an unblued bolt and other ComBloc Mosins (Hungarian, Polish and Romanian) will have inblued bolts