Norwegian mauser .308

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Norwegian mauser .308

#41 Post by Sandgroper »

bnz41 wrote:Hi

After testing I'm going to be using .308 Winchester ammo in my Mauser, when used up I will reload the brass...... Hope this is of help.
What pressure is your rifle proofed to? The reason I ask, is all articles I've read on the difference (mainly in loaded preassure) between the 308WIN and 7.62NATO recommend not shooting 308WIN in a milsurp rifles. This is reason why I only shoot surplus ammunition or reload for my Ishapore - better safe than sorry.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#42 Post by bnz41 »

Info on proof pressure.

Just had it confirmed .308 mauser proofed to 62,000 psi - which could go up to a maximum of 83-89,000 psi (19ton). Hope this is of help.
Sandgroper

#43 Post by Sandgroper »

bnz41 wrote:Info on proof pressure.

Just had it confirmed .308 mauser proofed to 62,000 psi - which could go up to a maximum of 83-89,000 psi (19ton). Hope this is of help.
bnz41,
Looks like you're sorted then! :D

Forgive my ignorence, what is a ton in pressure units - I understand psi? Is it tons per suare inch? I grew up with the metric system and only have a working knowledge of the more common Imp units. What is the conversion from psi to tons?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
bnz41

#44 Post by bnz41 »

Can one of the many experts offer up the answer please, over to you.

I'm just going to enjoy using it...
targetman

#45 Post by targetman »

Truth to tell, it will handle the modern ammo such as Privi perfectly well. The action is capable of handling much higher pressures.

The only fly in the ointment is that of accuracy. If accuracy is a real factor then you need to source 7.62X51NATO as the barrel you have will have been manufactured to handle that 146 grain bullet which typically measures out at .3075 or even less as opposed to .308 of the modern manufactured ammo. Not a great deal of difference I agree but the .3075 146 grain bullet is also shorter than the more modern .308 and the original barrels would have been made to the appropriate specs.

Having said that, if you are not looking for target rifle type accuracy then there is no problem at all.

Sellior & Ballot make 146/7 grain bullets that match the original RG bullets, but they are steel cored which I am not too keen on.

Nice looking rifle and I am tempted.....however I am also very tempted by their Schmidt Rubin K31s

I have a Schmidt Rubin 7.62 Target Rifle and an original 1911 long rifle that looks as though it came out of the factory last week, and it is very accurate.
Ovenpaa

#46 Post by Ovenpaa »

targetman wrote:Sellior & Ballot make 146/7 grain bullets that match the original RG bullets, but they are steel cored which I am not too keen on.
I purchased 500 S&B's a long while ago for a project then chose not to use them when I realised they were copper washed steel. last year I spotted them in a draw and loaded up a few hundred with some spare brass and Vectan SP9. They make a very good plinking round for 600m and are remarkably accurate.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
John25

#47 Post by John25 »

Sandgroper wrote:
bnz41 wrote:Info on proof pressure.

bnz41,
Looks like you're sorted then! :D

Forgive my ignorence, what is a ton in pressure units - I understand psi? Is it tons per suare inch? I grew up with the metric system and only have a working knowledge of the more common Imp units. What is the conversion from psi to tons?

Metric! Metric? If the good Lord had wanted us to be metric there would have been ten disciples! ;)
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
bnz41

#48 Post by bnz41 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, I intend to reload for this so I will do some searches for 7.62 FMJ 146gr bullets, and I have loads of RG brass that's never been used, any advice on which make of bullets, and load data would be most welcome. My .308 powder is H4895 would this be ok to be used, behind a 146gr bullet?
Ovenpaa

#49 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is the RG boxer primed? I have only seen Berdan stuff around. My S&B's came from Peter Lawman but I have not seen him listing them for a while, I have a feeling he gets his stuff from Kranks.

I used Vectan SP9 in a mix of Fed and Lap brass for my last build of 147's and they shoot well.

EDIT - I have the cheapest imaginable Lee press and equally cheap Lee die permanently set up at one end of the bench for exactly this load and see good OAL consistency and run out of <.002" most of the time, I use Vectan as it is a fine ball powder so I can use a Culver type thrower to load with. It is easy to churn out a few hundred in a morning ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41

#50 Post by bnz41 »

Boxer type, bought ages ago and one of the Bisley fairs. Will look for S&B's then in 147.

Thanks