Norwegian mauser .308

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Norwegian mauser .308

#61 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:Well.......... PSI (pounds square inch) is different to CUPS (Copper units of pressure) the two can be converted but people seem to frown at this.

Assuming Tons means Tons per square inch (TpSI) the conversion is 1PSI = 0.0005 TpSI so 1 Ton is 2000 PSI and 17 Tons is 34,000 PSI which does not sound like a lot as I though the proof on the .303 British was closer to 49,000 PSI so I could be wrong.... :oops:

EDIT - oops 6.5x55 Swede not .303 -

The Swede is 55,000 PSI so even further out that I thought, I will dig a book out and do some reading.

I have an article on the conversion of CUP to PSI if anyone is interested.
Thanks Ovenpaa,
That's my thinking. If you convert using long tons 2440lbs then it's 41480psi! I know there isn't a direct correlation between psi/cup but it can be done if you're careful. I think the Americans like to keep the 6.5SW at or below 45000CUP, that might be in the same region as 41480psi. I 'll need to check.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#62 Post by bnz41 »

Hi,

Latest update took it to the range today at Bisley 100yds using my reloads 168gr bullets, 30 shots with many holes touching, in a 3" to 4" circle with open sights. I'm happy with that.
bnz41

#63 Post by bnz41 »

Bump as now in the for sale section. More pictures on request.
john
Home club or Range: NRA, Thurrock Rifle Club, Fenlands Gun Club,

#64 Post by john »

Ooh very nice rifle

john
Thurrock Rifle Club.
East London Small Arms Society.
bnz41

#65 Post by bnz41 »

Thank you John.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#66 Post by breacher »

bnz41 wrote:Picked this up from C&G on Friday.

These rifles were captured when the German forces were driven out of Norway. They were then converted to 7.62x51 Nato or 30-06 rounds by the USA and handed back to the Norwegians be used for civil defence.
Holy thread resurection batman !!

Just bought one of the Norwegian Mausers from C+G - in 30.06

My research led me to believe that ALL the Army ones ( HAER ) were in 30.06 and that only a small number of Navy issued ones were 7.62x51

And that only the ones in 30.06 had the small cut out on receiver to allow longer cartridges to fit ?

Also read that the 30.06 ones were marked 7.62mm as 7.62mm nato had not become a recognised cartridge yet ?

The one I have bought has 30.06 engraved in the underside of the stock at the butt end and that engraving painted in white.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#67 Post by GeeRam »

Nice.........was looking at the ones they have myself.

Trouble is I'd also like an original 7.92mm as well.
bnz41

#68 Post by bnz41 »

Wow thats a blast from the past, wish I had not sold this rifle but needs must at the time...
Laurie

#69 Post by Laurie »

Ovenpaa wrote:
targetman wrote:Sellior & Ballot make 146/7 grain bullets that match the original RG bullets, but they are steel cored which I am not too keen on.
I purchased 500 S&B's a long while ago for a project then chose not to use them when I realised they were copper washed steel. last year I spotted them in a draw and loaded up a few hundred with some spare brass and Vectan SP9. They make a very good plinking round for 600m and are remarkably accurate.
Going back to my early days of shooting 7.62 'Target Rifle', the Norma 146gn FMJBT was a very popular and effective bullet in those days (mid 80s), also loaded in factory ammo. Very few users knew that this was a mild steel copper washed jacket type - as were all Norma bullets back until sometime in the 90s, or maybe even later. I hadn't realised this until a fellow shooter told me and a magnet confirmed it. Norma even branded its bullets as 'Tri-Metal' in its US advertising, the 'tri' bit being lead / steel / copper.

Ian Carmichael in his review of .308 bullets in the old 'Target Gun' magazine many, many years back confirmed that if well done, there was no wear penalty in this form of construction, many people's TR rifles having produced 7,000 or so round barrel life with sensible handloads and these bullets. He also noted that fired examples littering the backstop sand on the Bisley ranges showed little sign of rusting despite having sat in wet sand for variable amounts of time and the potential effects on the copper wash of having been forced into the rifling then striking abrasive sand at still considerable terminal velocities.