Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Justwatching

Re: Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

#111 Post by Justwatching »

MJL Militaria, Staffordshire. They had purchased the gun with intention of deactivating it, but it turned out to have a decent bore. The gun was never advertised, I just happened to see it amongst the other guns.

Peter Wilson sold one quite recently https://www.peterwilson.co.uk/auction/l ... 8&pn=1&g=1

Yes, I shoot it. PPU factory ammunition. Mercifully, they've bothered to use the correct diameter bullet. The same can't be said of their so-called Carcano ammunition. It shoots reasonably well. I only shoot paper to zero, so don't ask me for a group size. It hits an 8inch steel plate at 100 metres no problem, but you have to aim very low due to the ridiculous 400 metre zero.
PeterN

#112 Post by PeterN »

Thanks for the reply. I bought a model 1909 Peruvian Mauser from MJL a few years ago. I see they have quite a few Lee Enfield rifles for sale as live rifles. If the Lebel rifles are bringing the price of the one in the auction I will pass on one for now. I want one but not that much. I should have bought the one I saw all those years ago.
Regards
Peter.
Justwatching

#113 Post by Justwatching »

Eddystone Arsenal M1917.
Attachments
P17 Resize.jpg
P17 2 Resize.jpg
Justwatching

#114 Post by Justwatching »

Vetterli Vitali M1870/87. Torino manufactured, 1877.

This version was used by Russia during the First World War. The 1870/87/15 version (convert to 6.5x52 Carcano) was also used by it's home country of Italy during the war, but only in a training and rear guard role.
Attachments
Vetterli Resize.jpg
Vetterli Resize 2.jpg
Sfwh

#115 Post by Sfwh »

Justwatching wrote:MJL Militaria, Staffordshire. They had purchased the gun with intention of deactivating it, but it turned out to have a decent bore. The gun was never advertised, I just happened to see it amongst the other guns.

Peter Wilson sold one quite recently https://www.peterwilson.co.uk/auction/l ... 8&pn=1&g=1

Yes, I shoot it. PPU factory ammunition. Mercifully, they've bothered to use the correct diameter bullet. The same can't be said of their so-called Carcano ammunition. It shoots reasonably well. I only shoot paper to zero, so don't ask me for a group size. It hits an 8inch steel plate at 100 metres no problem, but you have to aim very low due to the ridiculous 400 metre zero.
A friend of mine has just bought a Lebel. Where are you able to get PPU ammo from?
Sfwh

#116 Post by Sfwh »

Justwatching wrote:Eddystone Arsenal M1917.
I was thinking of getting one of these. How is it for you?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#117 Post by GeeRam »

Sfwh wrote:
A friend and fellow member of my club has a P17, broad arrow marked and an ex-Home Guard rifle, and it still has most of the painted red band around the fore end to denote it being 30-06.
PeterN

#118 Post by PeterN »

Sfwh, Henry Krank list PPU 8mm Lebel ammunition as in stock. Any dealer should be able to order it from them.
Regards
Peter.
Justwatching

#119 Post by Justwatching »

Sfwh wrote:
I used to think they were a bit ugly, but the looks have grown on me. Still wouldn't call it pretty.

The trigger is decent for a service rifle and the overall design is ergonomic and easy to use. Everything feels well put together but the rifle is quite heavy for its size.

A universal length service rifle with a peep sight was an advanced concept at the time. I think it's definitely one of the best of its era.
PeterN

#120 Post by PeterN »

This is a Model 1907 Paraguay Mauser in 7.65x53mm calibre. It is a bit unusual as Paraguay never sold off their old rifles in the 1950s and 60s as other countries did. As far as is known, the original batch of these rifles are quietly rusting away in Paraguay or have been destroyed. The information I got about this rifle was that it never went anywhere near Paraguay and never left Europe. Paraguay ordered a second batch of 10,100 rifles in 1913 and these were made in 1914. However as WW1 started, these rifles were diverted to Turkey and not delivered to Paraguay. They went to Turkey because they were using the 7.65x53mm cartridge at the time. After WW1 Turkey converted to 7.92x57mm and all the old calibre rifles were converted to the new. How this rifle escaped WW1 in such nice condition is a mystery that will probably never be solved. More information from the Mauser gurus on Gunboards. https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1907- ... er.980482/
It is a nice rifle and shoots OK.
Paraguay right full.jpg
Paraguay action left.jpg
Paraguay crest.jpg
Regards
Peter