Anti tank rifle

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

Anti tank rifle

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

I always thought these looked rather cool; http://www.suite101.com/content/the-tan ... 918-a67877

http://www.antitank.co.uk/ww1_anti-tank_rifles1.htm

Well now you can for £6200,00 and no FAC required as an obsolete calibre / collecters item
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Antique-Rifle/ ... 28674.aspx

Just need to find the dosh , could we have a whip round lads only Iam a bit short this week .

Dave
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Anti tank rifle

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Continuous firing led not only to damaged shoulders, but it had severe repercussions due to the concussion of the round as it was fired. More than two to three rounds led to headaches, dizziness, and possible blood spillage from the eyes, ears, and nose.
Ouch!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

#3 Post by huntervixen »

Hi guys,

A .223 shooter at my range (never fired anything else) had a go with my SMLE, only fired one round! after all his complaining you would have thought he had just fired that monster, I told him to get back to his Air rifle!!!!

Cheers, John.
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

My front rest came from an ex 50BMG shooter who was selling all of his equipment. He gave himself concussion first time out with it and had to quit after damaging three vertebrae as a consequence of extended use.

The largest calibre modern round I have shot is the .338 LM, I have no desire to shoot anything heavier.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#5 Post by Dave 101 »

I actualy got see a Gewehr anti tank rifle in the flesh last week whilst on holiday , I went to the Shrewsbury castle museum which houses the Shropshire regiment collection . There were many interesting rifles etc including the ATR which is a massive peice . Unfortunately photography isnt allowed so no pics .

Dave
R.G.C

#6 Post by R.G.C »

Dave 101 wrote:I actualy got see a Gewehr anti tank rifle in the flesh last week whilst on holiday , I went to the Shrewsbury castle museum which houses the Shropshire regiment collection . There were many interesting rifles etc including the ATR which is a massive peice . Unfortunately photography isnt allowed so no pics .

Dave
I saw one long ago in a private collection in the Somme area. Was complete and in perfect condition. Handled it aswell The bolt (a scaled-up 98 one) was certainly some 30mm in diameter and maybe 300mm long.

The germans prior to WW2 developped a 7,92 Panzerbuchse (Pz.B39) , 8mm calibre with an impressive case at least 100mm long and 25mm case head. Bullets were metallic carbide core. Ammunition of this type was found here on the pocket battlefield. It is reported rifle ruin was also discoovered time ago, but no confirmation of this. This one had a more modern shape as the TGew 18.

R.G/C
whoowhoop

#7 Post by whoowhoop »

Apologies for the late response to this post... just trawling through the SOWR section, just in case I lose control of my wallet. :cool2: kukkuk

There used to be one of these old Mauser anti tank rifles over the counter of the late Brian Bloomfields gun shop in Radlett.
It was bloody heavy.I had only seen photos before.
I don't know what became of it, I suppose Bob Battaglia at Park Street would know.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#8 Post by Gaz »

Was the bolt about the size of your forearm? I saw a great big German AT rifle of WW1 vintage (13mm?) on display with the HBSA at a Bisley meeting earlier this year.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#9 Post by Meaty »

The HBSA had one on their stand at this years Trafalgar event-bloody great lump it was too!
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
dave_303

#10 Post by dave_303 »

My old RFD S J Downs had 2 at one point, one complete the other missing its bolt, bought from museums selling off unused or spare items, it weighed a ton and at first glance looks like scaffolding tube attached to a plank of wood