Anti tank rifle

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Anti tank rifle

#11 Post by saddler »

I was at the HBSA lecture at the IWM a few years back on anti-tank rifles

As I was there early, plus was younger than some of the others attending - I was volunteered to assist in collecting some of the A/T rifles for the talk

Ended up going down to one of the many basement levels & I brought out a Russian & a Polish A/T rifle
Heavy they were

I seem to recall that the Russian job was a semi auto!

Anyway - I used to visit a WW1 T-Gewehr in my younger days: it lived on the wall of a pub in Sunderland - no idea if it is still there or what happened to it
MartinS

#12 Post by MartinS »

Yeah seen one of these at Bisley this year! Cool bipod! No adjustment there!!
HUGE round!!!!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#13 Post by saddler »

From my research THE most powerful A/T round in WW2 was the Swedish 8mm M40 rifle - at least that is what the reference books say!!
essexboy

#14 Post by essexboy »

Well dave, if you go into a certain Essex gun shop they have one in at the moment ( not for sale) all I can say about it is that it weighs a ton and is massive.

Essexboy
DL.

#15 Post by DL. »

I wish I had bought a Mauser T-Gewehr when this thread was posted in 2012 for £6200. They're £10k now.

My ISA was paying 0.2% before I pulled the plug on letting the bank have the use of my money for such a paltry amount.

I noticed MJL militaria had two of these last year.

I see Valmont have one, wouldn't you know it, I was there last week and didn't realise, I would have liked to have had a look.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

Dave 101 wrote:I actualy got see a Gewehr anti tank rifle in the flesh last week whilst on holiday , I went to the Shrewsbury castle museum which houses the Shropshire regiment collection . There were many interesting rifles etc including the ATR which is a massive peice . Unfortunately photography isnt allowed so no pics .

Dave
My bome town, my Grandfather served in the 6th Battalion K.S.L.I during WW1.

When it comes to anti-tank rifles either go big or go home......

14.5x114 PTRD/PTRS round next to a .50BMG case

There was a dealer in France selling a PTRD a while back, could go on Sec1 as single shot bolt action and saw one in action a few years back at Sennybridge. As anti-tank rifles go the Finnish 20mm Lahti L-39 is an absolute animal.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#17 Post by 450 Martini »

A militaria dealer near me had two for sale a few years ago, on a visit to his stores a few he let me have a very good look at them and some inert rounds.
Attachments
anti tank rifles.jpg
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by falco67 »

Just came across this photo on You Tube and remembered this thread..
Attachments
antitank gun.jpg
rufrdr

#19 Post by rufrdr »

I saw a couple at gun shows in my youth, they were converted to .50 BMG. Also Boys rifles converted to .50 BMG. Both are in the collector rather than the shooter category now.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#20 Post by DaveB »

In the early 1970s when I was a young private, our mess held one of those German ATRs. Nobody fired it of course, but it was in perfect working order. I wonder what ever happened to that?