Semi-auto SMLE

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Semi-auto SMLE

#1 Post by JS569 »

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-ver ... s-d-julia/

Interesting to see a rifle been shot I've only ever seen pictures of, what is also interesting is that during the period and just after there were so many attempts to modify a b/a to a semi auto rather than design one from the ground up. There was obviously a lot of attempts to design unique semi autos but some must of felt it was better to take a proven design and adapt. I suppose also the adaptation during war time might be viewed as a better solution than an entirely new rifle.

Anyway. enjoy.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Semi-auto SMLE

#2 Post by saddler »

Not as much taking a proven design, as a cheaper option by designing a new bolt assembly for a rifle that was held in stock to the tune of several tens of thousands...

Similar idea with the U.S. Pederson device.

We'd already done a very successful conversion in the previous century, with the Snider.
Same logic/£sd, sort of....a completely new design would render the already purchased rifles instantly redundant.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#3 Post by daman »

Very interesting, thanks.
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by lasbrisas »

That's spooky, without seeing this thread I have literally just been watching this !