Reloading for Metford rifling

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Reloading for Metford rifling

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Does anyone have any tips for reloading for the Metford rifled .303 I know the first task will be to slug the bore and do a hammer cast of the chamber, however given the age of such rifles can any level of accuracy be expected?

I was thinking of something around 200-225 grains at a leisurely 1500-1800 fps for 100 yard stuff.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Reloading for Metford rifling

#2 Post by Sim G »

I reckon if you can keep it within 3.5 to 4 inches, that would be really nice. As no doubt the forums Powrie will go along soon to rightly advocate bullet fit and not too hard is the way forward!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Reloading for Metford rifling

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

As long as the bore is not totally shot out it should be fine. Once you have the bore size and a chamber cast you will be able to detetmine your correct bullet size. I would go for a heavy bullet with 2400 or unique powders. Or maybe one of the Vitavouri offerings. A loverin bullet is my favourite.