Finnish M24 Mosin Nagant

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Finnish M24 Mosin Nagant

#1 Post by WelshShooter »

On Tuesday I received a "new to me" Finnish M24 Mosin Nagant. The history on these rifles is quite interesting. There is a lot of detail on this history of this rifle provided in the link below, but I'll talk about the the areas specific to my rifle. I had this at a good price too, £600 delivered from Highwood Classics which is the price between a standard Russian Mosin and a PU sniper. Since I had specifically been looking for a Finnish Mosin I was more than happy to pay this price.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/M24-Rifle.asp

The rifle has a hex receiver from the Russian Mosin Nagant M91 rifle series which is the more sought after receiver. The wood furniture has been replaced with a Finnish two piece stock and upper handguard which features copper rivets. The stock has finger joints which you may be able to make out just behind the rear barrel band. The traditional Russian sling mounts which would require the use of "dog collar" slings have been replaced with the "hangar" type sling attachment. I have an un-issued sling amongst other things on it's way from Finland as we speak.

The rifle features the stepped German Bohler-Stahl heavy barrel, the stamp is hidden underneath the barrel within the stock. There were approximately 8,000 rifles made with these barrels. However, I believe that the replacement barrels the Finn's would have used for this model of rifle would have a tighter bore which would make it suitable for using .308 projectiles and the Finn's made this distinction from the original Russian calibre by denoting it as 7,62x53mm. The rear sight has had a new plate fitted and the elevation gradients have been marked in metres. Note: the lowest distance is 300m. The "S" within the shield on the top of the barrel stands for "Suojeluskunta" which is the Finnish Civil guard known as "The White Guard". If a rifle belonged to the Finnish army it would typically have an "SA" stamp in a square box on the side of the barrel near the receiver.

On the side of the receiver is a stamping of "S106801" which is the area of the Civil Guard in Finland which the rifle was issued to. My rifle was originally issued to the Jyvaskyla region, neat!

Towards the bolt head there are two stamps; one which is a triangle shape and another which is a diamond shape. I haven't been able to figure out what these markings mean.

On the underside of the bolt handle is a hammer in a circle which is a Tula marking.

So that's all well and good, but how does it shoot? Well it shoots a fine Finnish diet of course! Lapua 7,62x53 cases, Vihtavuori powder and a healthy dose of .30 calibre 167gr Scenar's! Vihtavuori has load data on their website for this calibre which also lists the use of .308 bullets. I have some N140 on hand so I started the load data for at 46,6gr and moved up in 0,3gr intervals with a max load of 47,8gr. Overall length was 75,00mm (or 2.953" for those unable to run a simple conversion). I loaded ten rounds at each load weight giving me a total of 50 rounds to take the the range. I have a larger selection of .308 bullets (>600) on hand but didn't want to load too many up just in case the .308 bullets weren't that accurate due to possible bullet fit which would then require .311 bullets. If .308 bullets shoot well then I have a huge range of possibilities on what I could feed my Mosin compared to .311 bullets (note: not so much of an issue now since 150gr .311 expanding bullets can be bought).

So I took the Mosina out to the 100m range where I set up with a front and rear bag. I wasn't quite sure where my first shots were going to go seeing as the rear sight had a minimum elevation setting of 300m so I just kept a 6 o'clock hold on the black. After the first magazine (5 rounds) I noticed that my shots were around a foot higher than point of aim. It's also worth pointing out how nice the trigger is! The Finn's added a mouse-trap spring to the trigger which makes a noticeable difference which also has a nice clean break. I settled myself in for the next five rounds having got used to the rifle and couldn't believe the group I had when looking through the binos.

Seeing that the first ten shots were around a foot high, I decided to keep the sights on 300m but aim at the bottom of the target. The following ten rounds were much better elevation wise but the group suffered because I wasn't able to repeat a good point of aim on the target so continued to patch my target and keep a 6 o'clock hold.

The remaining groups were respectable fist-sized groups, but started opening up a bit more towards upper load (although I may put this down to myself). This rifle is hefty at 9.5lbs, overall length of 51.5 inches and a barrel length of 31.5 inches, so does a pretty good job at mitigating recoil. I would like to say that the recoil is less than my Lee Enfield No4 and 8mm Mauser.

In short, for a rifle that's >100 years old it is in remarkable condition and is an excellent shooter! I'm looking forward to my next loading session using 155gr Scenar's and my next trip to Sennybridge F range to stretch it's legs a bit (although I fear that Mr Snayperskaya may bear a grudge about sharing a pit with a filthy Finn rifle ;) )

ussrflag

46,6gr (top group);
46,9gr (bottom group)

47,2gr

47,5gr

47,8gr
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Finnish M24 Mosin Nagant

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

A fine rifle Tovarisvh, and despite the filthy Finns getting their grubby mitts on it at heart she is a Tula, it will be a pleasure to share a pit at Sennybridge Comrade.

Highwood have a very nice Finnish capture 1897-dated Mosina I'm quite taken with......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

What was the original military bullet weight ? You might find 175 smks suit better than 155s it's nice to see these old rifles getting used
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

Excellent write up ! Blighty may be along shortly to comment further upon the superiority of Suomi Mosins over their Russian counterparts but until he does, we'll stand at thy right hand and hold the fort against the communists... Have you thought of getting hold of an M28/76 too ? We had ours out today and mashed a 6 inch steel disc at 253 mards with 75 rounds of milsurp.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

Kenny, I believe the original bullet weight was 185gr which travelled at around 2,600fps. Lapua make the D46 bullet in this weight which I would like to try but I have plenty of bullets to try out first.

Badger, I'm afraid the tall, steel box of tricks is currently at capacity and I do not currently have the space nor dosh to fit and fill another (for now...). Do you have pics of your rifle or will I be advised to peruse the search function of this forum?

In addition I have some 140gr tracer bullets that i used to use load for my 308. Now that'll be interesting...
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Heed the big chikkin ! D46 is the way to go !

And klikky https://full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... t=m28%2F76
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

The diamond and triangle stamps on the bolt are quite common but the meaning of them seems to be unknown in Mosin circles......some marks remain a mystery unfortunately.

My 1926 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon has loads of marks and cartouches on the stock and metalwork and the meaning of most of those are unknown.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Bloody masonics get everywhere.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:Bloody masonics get everywhere.
Too true, with their funny handshakes and aprons!!!

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looking at the targets it looks to work well :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal