Best Enfield ?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Best Enfield ?

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

My favourite would have to be the No1 Mk3 or Mk3* above all else, in fine condition they shoot and handle well especially with the addition of a rear aperture sight and some careful work, however for .303 accuracy I always reach for my P14.

My current favourites are both sporters these days, a Lee Speed and a No1 Mk3 BSA factory Sporter.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
shotgun sam

#12 Post by shotgun sam »

WelshShooter wrote:
shotgun sam wrote:This thread is very interesting as tomorrow I pick up my certificate that is in for a variation to get another 303.
At the moment I have a 1917 SMLE which I enjoy shooting but the next one is going to be from the second world war. I like the sights on the SMLE and have mixed views on the MK 4 sights what are other peoples views on the two types of sights?
The No4 MkI/II use an aperture for the rear sight, of which there are two versions that you will see on most No4's in circulation.
1. The MkI rear sight is an aperture sight which can be adjusted for elevation using a micrometer, which is very precise. There is also a second aperture battle sight zeroed for 300 yards.
2. The MkIII rear sight is an aperture sight which can be adjusted using a simple retaining catch which locks the sight on a certain elevation. There is also a second aperture battle sight zeroed for 300 yards.

On the other hand, the SMLE uses a typical blade sight with rear U notch sight. So the main difference between the two is whether you are comfortable using an aperture sight versus a U notch sight. Even though I enjoy shooting my Lee Enfield I do find the rear aperture sight a bit more difficult to use. I typically shoot this at Fig11 targets on Sennybridge and at the longer distances I find that the sight obstructs the target making it difficult to see (especially in dark, rainy conditions which is the norm!). When using rifles with standard U/V notch rear sights, such as on Mauser k98's etc., I don't find this is much of a problem.

Source of information:
https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=ti14.htm
Welsh Shooter,
That is the same reason I prefer the notched rear sight, I suppose it is what I started with as a lad with air rifles.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
@nd

#13 Post by @nd »

Best enfield rifle i have ever shot (to date) was a Westley Richards Long Lee.It was just awesome, accurate as hell and the recoil was so mild i thought i was shooting a low velocity round.
But just for $h!ts and giggles my 1840's .750 smooth bore percussion musket is just good fun.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

shotgun sam wrote:This thread is very interesting as tomorrow I pick up my certificate that is in for a variation to get another 303.
At the moment I have a 1917 SMLE which I enjoy shooting but the next one is going to be from the second world war. I like the sights on the SMLE and have mixed views on the MK 4 sights what are other peoples views on the two types of sights?
I prefer the No.4/No.5

I can't shoot a SMLE for toffee :squirrel:

As mentioned by others, if you want accuracy, get a P14 :good:
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#15 Post by meles meles »

We 'as a P14 !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

meles meles wrote:We 'as a P14 !
Our last club shoot was 900yrds and we had a shoot off for top bragging rights, and interestingly it was between a P14 owner and a P17 owner.......

The 30-06 just won the day.
bamzooki99
Home club or Range: NTSC

#17 Post by bamzooki99 »

Did anyone see the review of the EM2 in ?.275 cal on Forgotten Weapons? Ian really liked it. It's a favorite of mine on youtube.
bamzooki99

#18 Post by bamzooki99 »

bamzooki99

#19 Post by bamzooki99 »

'.280" British'
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#20 Post by meles meles »

*Nods approvingly*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"