Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: just had to part 2

#11 Post by TomH »

ballkeeper wrote:
TomH wrote:Are you going to strip it down and give it a good soaking with Linseed Oil? It's probably very dry; after being stored for all those years, and the wood has contracted in the bedding. Might tighten your groups up a bit.
ied prob ruin it so maybe not a good idea
It does look like the wood has contracted and therefore will not be holding the receiver/barrel firmly. Looking at the pictrure of the right hand side of the rifle, there appears to be a gap between the Reciever Socket and the Forend (just behind the bolt knob when closed) where it should be flush, The receiver is drawn down between this area and the drawers and takes the recoil.

It's not difficult to strip them if you take your time and use parallel ground scredrivers or bits so as to not b*gger the screw heads.
ballkeeper
Home club or Range: lanc

#12 Post by ballkeeper »

TomH wrote:
ballkeeper wrote:
TomH wrote:Are you going to strip it down and give it a good soaking with Linseed Oil? It's probably very dry; after being stored for all those years, and the wood has contracted in the bedding. Might tighten your groups up a bit.
ied prob ruin it so maybe not a good idea
It does look like the wood has contracted and therefore will not be holding the receiver/barrel firmly. Looking at the pictrure of the right hand side of the rifle, there appears to be a gap between the Reciever Socket and the Forend (just behind the bolt knob when closed) where it should be flush, The receiver is drawn down between this area and the drawers and takes the recoil.

It's not difficult to strip them if you take your time and use parallel ground scredrivers or bits so as to not b*gger the screw heads.
i ve had all the wood off when i was removing all/most of the cos oil yukky stuff off
chris
TomH

#13 Post by TomH »

That looks good Chris, sorry it must have been camera angle and flash making it look like a gap.

A couple of mine had been in long term storage and were really dry. They way they soaked up Linseed Oil was amazing. Afterwards the wood to metal fit and overall tightness was much improved. cheers
ballkeeper

#14 Post by ballkeeper »

think mine might be as all were tight to come of ,wouldnt want to strip down to bare wood, perhaps more of a clean up with any bumps that can be raised up, those that cant can stay sort of thing,

next bit is to move the front sight to get it to shoot to the right abit and to look into casting bullets for her .
chris
ballkeeper

#15 Post by ballkeeper »

just sluged it 303 to 318 cant be right .
chris
TomH

#16 Post by TomH »

ballkeeper wrote:just sluged it 303 to 318 cant be right .
Two groove rifling is a lot deeper from what I've read. That's only 0.0075" deep. If it's measuring 0.303" for the bore it sounds like a very good barrel. You wouldn't be able to wear the rifling without any corresponding wear on the bore after all.

Look at the depth of the rifling in your other thread, of your returned rifle and bhodges's and they are both very deep grooves.
ballkeeper

#17 Post by ballkeeper »

yup 303 was the lowest reading,
and
chris
ballkeeper

#18 Post by ballkeeper »

What size bullet would be recommended ?
chris
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by bnz41 »

I use SMK 174gr .311 dia bullets in our Enfield rifles, have used PPU of the same weight and dia but not as accurate in there manufacture weights can vary so can lengths of bullets.
ballkeeper

#20 Post by ballkeeper »

Was thinking I'll need a bigger dia bullet
chris