Questions for Snayperskaya

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Questions for Snayperskaya

#1 Post by breacher »

If anybody knows, he will..............

Did the Soviets ( inc Eastern Bloc ) ever experiment with scoped M44 rifles ?

Was the SVD type scope ever used on bolt action sniper rifles ?

I ask because I came across some photos of the above and vague references........

Also, I found a photo ( which I cannot find again ) of what appears to be a Moisin Nagant Sniper rifle with PU type scope and PU style mount BUT..........The mount seems to be much lower profile - the bit with the hole in it is not there leaving the scope much closer to the bore.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Questions for Snayperskaya

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

As far as I'm aware the Mosin carbines were never scoped in service by the Russians or anyone else, they had the more accurate 91/30 PE/PEM/PU snipers.....Although I have seen carbines fitted with scopes (usually the PU) and passed off as "Border Guard tower rifles" and some were made up by importers in the States by taking a standard M44, fitting a PU scope (often a modern repro) and passed off as "Russian Park Ranger" rifles!..The link below is to a very good Mosin website, if there were original scoped carbine sniper rifles this site would know about them......

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/rus ... index.html

To my knowledge the SVD issue PSO-1 scope was never fitted to service issue bolt action rifles, the scope was designed in the early '60s and issued from '63 onwards.....long after the Mosin had been withdrawn from service and put into storage.Some 91/30 PU sniper rifles were re-issued by the Russian Ministry of Defence to some units during the First Chechen War (1994-1996) but even these still had their PU scopes fitted.Commercially made mounts are available to mount a PSO-1/POSP type scope to a Mosin but these weren't military issue.

I had a quick search of Mosin PU scope mounts are there are some commercial ones like you described but couldn't find any military ones like that.

Hope this is of help ussrflag

Edit......this is another good site with info on the Russian/ComBloc Mosin sniper rifles......again no mention of " carbine sniper rifles".Also forgot to mention that the Russians also pressed the SVT-40 into the sniper rifle role as well :good:.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#3 Post by breacher »

Many thanks goodjob
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

I am wrong but some time ago was there talk/information regarding the production of
straight pull versions of the SVT 40 being produced ???
Anyone have information
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Mauserbill wrote:I am wrong but some time ago was there talk/information regarding the production of
straight pull versions of the SVT 40 being produced ???
Anyone have information
LDT (LuxDefTec) in Luxembourg were working on a straight-pull SVT-40 but last I heard they were having extraction problems as the SVT has a fluted chamber that make a mess of brass and causes hard extraction on a straight-pull which isn't a problem if you have a functioning gas system and don't intend on reloading.

The other problem is that the straight-pull market is relatively small (compared to the semi-auto market in Europe etc) hence one of the reasons my SKS carbine is one of only two straight-pull versions they have done and have been exported to the UK.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!