German Bayonet

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

German Bayonet

#1 Post by JS569 »

I'm a casual bayonet collector, usually sticking to British stuff but I couldn't resist buying a German K98 one the other day: http://www.atthefront.com/g_images/weapon/K98B_det.jpg (this is a modern repro but the same model as mine). The one I picked up was manufactured in 1940 by Mundlos and every part is stamped with a small mark that looks like an imperial eagle with a serial number - I've had it in bits to give it a good clean. When I say the stamp is small, I mean really small, however the serial number does from what I can make out the same across all parts.

The scabbard is also serialised with a bigger 4 digit number and a 'd' which also matches the number stamped on the blade. The blade retains most of it's black finish (came gunked in cosmoline) whilst the hand guard, pommel and scabbard have light surface rust on it.

So I have two questions:
1. Do anyone have any information on this type of bayonet, is there anything I can look at more to understand it's age or value etc
2. Should I leave it as it, or clean the rust off and look at refinishing
3. If I refinished, what was the original finish applied to the pommel, scabbard and hand guard.

Pictures can follow if required.

thanks in advance
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: German Bayonet

#2 Post by bnz41 »

MrD

#3 Post by MrD »

That site will tell you some details of who made it and other marks that maker used. Are you sure it's an Imperial eagle and not the Nazi Waffenampt stamp? If it was me, I'd only carefully clean as far as preventing the rust getting any worse. The wear/patina of the bayonet reflects its age and use. In other words, preservation rather than restoration.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
JS569

#4 Post by JS569 »

That was a good read! You are correct the Waffenampt stamp is there, on all parts of the bayonet. The good news is all the numbers match and the dates all corellate. I think I agree preservation rather than restoration. If I take a bit of the surface rust it will keep its 70plus years of use look. I must say as it stands it doesn't look rough, I just think it can be improved with a bit of TLC without going too far!
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#5 Post by Hrun »

When I got my K98k I was given one by a friend. Slightly mulleredas the point has been dressed, but they are a beautiful if scary knife.. I wouldn't like to be at the pointy end of one.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#6 Post by froggy »

+1 and congrats on your new acquisition :good:

Mudlos , a quite prolific maker , marked its production as "S/244" before the war, them "Mudlos" in full name and then after 41 as "AB". Unless it is very bad, I'd leave your bayo the way it is. It survived the war, so it would be a shame to "play" with a matching numbered one. If you want to remove the surface rust, you can try a solution of "oxalic acid" that you'll rinse well so it does not leave any white deposit. This way you might remove all the light rust while leaving the finish intact. If you want help on how to do it , drop me an PM.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
JS569

#7 Post by JS569 »

froggy wrote:+1 and congrats on your new acquisition :good:

Mudlos , a quite prolific maker , marked its production as "S/244" before the war, them "Mudlos" in full name and then after 41 as "AB". Unless it is very bad, I'd leave your bayo the way it is. It survived the war, so it would be a shame to "play" with a matching numbered one. If you want to remove the surface rust, you can try a solution of "oxalic acid" that you'll rinse well so it does not leave any white deposit. This way you might remove all the light rust while leaving the finish intact. If you want help on how to do it , drop me an PM.
Thanks Froggy. I've finished tinkering with now. I took some extremely fine wire wool to it and gentle took off the surface rust. I was careful not to remove any finish and I must say it has come up a treat. It's kept its patina; I've certainly not gone to far as it's brilliant and shiny!

I picked it up at a flea market from a house clearers who only knew it as a bayonet. I think had I picked it up from one of the militaria stalls I'd have paid three or four times the price. I'll get some pics up when I get home.

I don't know why but I strangely like bayonets, my little collection currently contains M1884/98 III, p1907, p1888 mkII and No5 Mk2 bayonet.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#8 Post by froggy »

Great ! now you must hunt for a bayo frog dated 1940 ;)

I don't know why but I strangely like bayonets,

and K98 bayo are among the nicest looking ones ever produced :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
MrD

#9 Post by MrD »

froggy wrote:Great ! now you must hunt for a bayo frog dated 1940 ;)

I don't know why but I strangely like bayonets,

and K98 bayo are among the nicest looking ones ever produced :good:
Stop Now!!!!!
About 15 yrs ago I bought a spike for my No4 .410 conversion. I thought it'd be fun to get the kit for it, sling, oiler, pull-through, breech cover and a bayonet. I bought a genuine cruciform Mk1. And then I found out there were other marks, other makers and then the decent into madness began...... I bought an anorak, bobble-hat and a copy of Janzen's Notebook and the Skennerton 'bible'. I started seeking out P1888, P1903, P1907, and so on. Found out Aussies and Indians made their own variations too!!! I then discovered the fun of trying to find different ownership marks and the worst, different British Regt. marks. I have around 200 now, mostly British and Commonwealth, but also a mix of US, French and Warsaw Pact. It was great fun tracking them down but most are not pretty enough to put on display. Worst thing is that other people think you're weird when they spot buckets of bayonets secreted around the place, but that USMC OKC-3S is just so sexy..........
Take my advice and quit now. The quest for the elusive 1940 frog will lead to madness lol

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/