Uberti Henry/Winchester replicas.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Uberti Henry/Winchester replicas.

#21 Post by dromia »

With a proper slightly bottle necked BP cartridge like the 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 etc there is no fouling back into the action as they seal the bore. With a good lube, a bullet with sufficient lube capacity and a good black powder they will just keep shooting and clean up is easy, no need to strip down the actions just clean the barrels.

Straight walled cases like the .45 Colt, 357/44 magnums/specials however do not give this seal and fouling blows back into the action as well as causing the lifter to eventually seize.

That is why I'm not a fan of the 357 as a BP cartridge round.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#22 Post by GeeRam »

dromia wrote:With a proper slightly bottle necked BP cartridge like the 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 etc there is no fouling back into the action as they seal the bore. With a good lube, a bullet with sufficient lube capacity and a good black powder they will just keep shooting and clean up is easy, no need to strip down the actions just clean the barrels.

Straight walled cases like the .45 Colt, 357/44 magnums/specials however do not give this seal and fouling blows back into the action as well as causing the lifter to eventually seize.

I run Magtech Cowboy Action loads through my .45LC 1873 Uberti, and the action/lifter etc is very dirty with powder after 50-60 rds through it.
Dorset_shooter
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Dorset_shooter »

dromia wrote:With a proper slightly bottle necked BP cartridge like the 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 etc there is no fouling back into the action as they seal the bore. With a good lube, a bullet with sufficient lube capacity and a good black powder they will just keep shooting and clean up is easy, no need to strip down the actions just clean the barrels.

Got it thankssign
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#24 Post by ukrifleman »

I am glad I resisted the urge to load some B/P rounds for my 45 Colt Rossi M92.

I'll stick to GM3!

ukrifleman