Mosin stripper clips

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

Mosin stripper clips

#1 Post by Alberto »

Hi all,

I've bought these Mosin stripper clips from China via eBay. They were buttons, so I thought I'd give it a punt. They seem fine, and I think are new not original, but came covered in a brown slightly oily liquid. Is that Cosmoline or similar? They don't seem rusted.

If so what's best to clean it with? Turps? Hot water?

Thanks

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Mosin stripper clips

#2 Post by bnz41 »

Yes turps/white spirit or brake cleaner even good old WD40
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

I bought some Chinese ones too, but they're a bit tight in the Mosina! Will need some filing/sanding to fit.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

They are original and quite early Chinese ones, triangle in circle stamp is common on Chinese clips and were used with the Type 53 rifle which was a copy of the M44 Carbine built under license and went into production in 1953.The quality of the Type 53 is very good which can mean, as WelshShooter pointed out, they can be a bit tight in some Mosins.The brown oily stuff is probably a Chinese version of Cosmoline and WD-40 and a wipe will shift it.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

What are they made of? I have a bunch of these in nickel plated steel with the same stamp and they're bloody awful - oftentimes four go in and the last kind flops about getting jammed up. I have to drop the lot out of the floorplate and start over.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Dark Skies wrote:What are they made of? I have a bunch of these in nickel plated steel with the same stamp and they're bloody awful - oftentimes four go in and the last kind flops about getting jammed up. I have to drop the lot out of the floorplate and start over.
Belay that last statement. I just went through the hundreds of clips I have and found the ones giving me grief are nickel plated and do have the same stamp but I've noticed they have a lower wall (by about 3 mm and don't have the four tongues on each side and end.
I'm wondering if they are for the Mosin at all now.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alberto

#7 Post by Alberto »

Thanks all, that's helpful and interesting. DS The description said they were steel but they must be coated or plated with something.

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Don't forget Mosin strippers have to be loaded correctly or you'll experience rim lock and have to drop them out of the mag........

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Alberto

#9 Post by Alberto »

Thanks. What's the correct way?

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Alberto wrote:Thanks. What's the correct way?

Slide your first round down to the bottom of the stripper clip and let it hang down at an angle to thr stripper then slide your next round down so the rim of the case sits behind the rim of the first and repeat with the next three rounds, ensuring the rim sits behind the rim of the proceeeding case.

Once the clip is full turn it over and you'll see the rounds sit in the clip like this......

This is the correct way up to push them down into the mag and will prevent rim lock, if you load the mag with the clip the other way up the rim of the round you are trying to feed will lock behind the rim of the round below it and it won't feed and you then have to drop the rounds out of the bottom and start again :good: