45-70 Sharps advice

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

45-70 Sharps advice

#1 Post by sclg »

Very tempted by a 45-70 Sharps. Something for target shooting at about 50 - 200 yds. (Not looking to be seriously competitive but want to hit the target!)
Anyone any experience of the difference between the Pedersoli Carbine and the more "full-size" versions?
Obviously the Carbine is lighter and easier to carry around but is it sensible if you might want to go out to a couple of hundred yards?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: 45-70 Sharps advice

#2 Post by Sim G »

Owned two Pedersoli's in the past. Would own one again in a heart beat. A Silhouette, with a 30" barrel and a Long Range with a 34" barrel. Get a big one. It's a Sharps, they're supposed to be big!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

What he said!

I also have a paper cartridge Pedersoli 1859 52 calibre Sharps in carbine form and it suits that cartridge very well only loading 55 gns of black powder..

The 45-70 cartridge deserves a long barrel and full 70 gn BP loads.

Original 45-70 loads for the Trapdoor carbine was only 55 grains so that tells you that full stoke 45-70 was a bit over the top for the carbines.

If I was to get another Sharps it would be in 45-90 that little extra space helps at the long range, had one and let it go which I regret now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
greenshoots

#4 Post by greenshoots »

I have used both, of the 2 types I would go for the carbine but customised IE pistol grip get rid of the saddle ring and add shotgun butt and decent sights scope

Greenshoots
Green by Design
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#5 Post by redcat »

Get the longer barrel. That bit of extra weight helps tame the recoil will full loads. Besides, it looks better.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#6 Post by sclg »

Thanks all
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

I too owned two Pedersolis - one a 'business rifle' and the other a cavalry carbine. Of the two I very much preferred the carbine - shorter, lighter, handier and damned accurate - but only if you fed it black powder or Pyrodex. Smokeless factory loads never grouped with a darn. I almost hated to part with it but the reality was it was a safe queen, and had to go to fund my new 1911.