Importing an antique rifle from the US

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Musclebob

Importing an antique rifle from the US

#1 Post by Musclebob »

I'm looking at getting (another) Trapdoor Springfield to add to my collection.

Because they are made/designed before 1898, they aren't classed as firearms in the USA, so as a alien/visitor I can posses one and take it out of the country without needing to go through the painful export process.

I could (conceivably) get it sent to me via USPS to the UK, then claim it from UKBA when it arrives with my FAC.

Or, I could spend some airmiles, travel to the US, pick the rifle up and then bring it back to the UK to complete paperwork for it on arrival.

Does anyone have experience with shipping an antique rifle from the US via the postal service, or is it altogether too painful and I'm better off just going there?

Bob.
Rarms
Past Supporter

Re: Importing an antique rifle from the US

#2 Post by Rarms »

I would suggest purchasing it through Simpsons LTD in America or similar. They have handled exports for me before and are very good. However they will charge a fee.

My understanding is as you describe in terms of DIY though and they should be postable by USPS as antiques.

I would be inclined to travel there and get it yourself though, buy a second hand peli case out there cheaply, bring it back in that :)
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Yes, even thought its not a "firearm", the airlines will want it traveling in an approved, locked case... and it will count as an item of baggage.

I thought about bringing back a CO2 rifle from the US last year, but by the time I'd have bought a case, and the extra baggage fees, it would have been considerably more expensive than buying the rifle here.
James84

#4 Post by James84 »

I have shipped a few obsolete/antique rifles from the US and USPS were quick and efficient. Just find a seller willing to post it and you're good to go. I paid something like $120 to post 2 rifles

UK side was efficient. You get contacted by USPS to fill out a few forms, declarations that it's an antique and pay the tax at 5%. Once that's done it turns up at your door a few days later. From door to door it was 8 days.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

James048 wrote:I have shipped a few obsolete/antique rifles from the US and USPS were quick and efficient. Just find a seller willing to post it and you're good to go. I paid something like $120 to post 2 rifles

UK side was efficient. You get contacted by USPS to fill out a few forms, declarations that it's an antique and pay the tax at 5%. Once that's done it turns up at your door a few days later. From door to door it was 8 days.

Except that 45-70 isn't an obsolete calibre so irrespective of the gun's age it's a section 1 firearm.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

50-70 is obsolete and was the original Trapdoor calibre.

The OP just says Trapdoor and doesn't specify calibre.

If it was section 1 then it would only become so when arriving on these shores, so long as the receiver has the suitable slot on their FAC then they can receive the firearm from the Customs people.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Musclebob

#7 Post by Musclebob »

It would be a 45-70, so would be going on a FAC.

Good to know that I should be able to get it posted, then only have the rigmarole of getting it through customs on arrival.

Thanks
Musclebob

#8 Post by Musclebob »

Just to close this thread out.

I ended up importing a very nice rifle from a collector in the US. As they aren't classed as firearms there, he shipped it to me via USPS. After customs and the border control people had their piece, it was put onto my FAC following my payment of 5% VAT. It's now safe and sound in my gunsafe.

Incidentally, the rifle appears to have never been issued, the bore is pristine and there are still traces of cosmoline around some of the metal parts. The total it cost me was less than it had cost me for another Trapdoor I bought in the UK, which as it turned out has a severely pitted and eroded bore, to the point that I don't feel safe shooting it. So that one is planned to be sent to the US to be relined, when I get the time to organise the export/import for repair.