No4 shooting low.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Re: No4 shooting low.

#21 Post by legs748 »

kennyc wrote:
legs748 wrote: Interesting point, I hadn’t imagined the no4 would behave any differently to my other pre ww2 milsurps, my SMLE, G98, Mosin nagants and K31 all shoot fine with from that position. I don’t really shoot modern guns. Personally I think it’s a bedding issue, with which I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.
have you shot it with factory ammo ? did it have the same problem, if not then I would suggest your reloads are the issue, I'm not sure the bedding would show up as a good group but low, a bad group all over the shop or occasional flyers then maybe, it sounds like you are low on velocity have you access to a chrono?
I don't have access to a chrono, but I will get some factory ammo to try. It does seem strange that all of my reloads for all of my other milsurp rifles shoot fine, it's not like it's a little bit off, it is a good 18" low at 100 with the sights set to 200.
It was working when i left it...........
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#22 Post by TomH »

18 is a lot considering each blade moves POI about 2" and there are nine. Are you sure it's a 0, just measured one and it is 0.321" from the top of blade to bottom of the dovetail.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#23 Post by safetyfirst »

Thanks for the manuals!
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#24 Post by Hrun »

I have been thinking about this..

If you shot with your battle rifle at said bad guy and missed, in battle would you have started tweaking the sights or just used Kentucky windage to make the adjustment.

If it groups, so what if it shoots low, just aim accordingly :-)
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#25 Post by David TS »

legs748 wrote: Personally I think it’s a bedding issue, with which I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.

You need to go over to Milsurps.com, and read Peter Laidler's articles on bedding a No 4 then :)
legs748

#26 Post by legs748 »

David TS wrote:
legs748 wrote: Personally I think it’s a bedding issue, with which I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.

You need to go over to Milsurps.com, and read Peter Laidler's articles on bedding a No 4 then :)

I will do that when I get a minute, I have obtained a chrono, loaded some hotter ammo and will pick up some factory when I can. Just need to find the time now!
Hrun wrote:I have been thinking about this..

If you shot with your battle rifle at said bad guy and missed, in battle would you have started tweaking the sights or just used Kentucky windage to make the adjustment.

If it groups, so what if it shoots low, just aim accordingly :-)
I would ordinarily agree, but as this experience is so far removed from my other milsurps it is as intriguing and baffling as it is irritating, I just want to get to the bottom of it.
kevinww

#27 Post by kevinww »

Have you checked barrel float, you should be able to pull the end of barrel upwards and it should move inside the wood shroud.
legs748

#28 Post by legs748 »

kevinww wrote:Have you checked barrel float, you should be able to pull the end of barrel upwards and it should move inside the wood shroud.

It does indeed move up in the wood, if memory serves it should be 5-8lbs of pressure, not checked it with a spring balance but it feels much less than that. The barrel is not center bedded. Was the muzzle pressure lightened for the mk2?
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#29 Post by TomH »

The only way you will be able to correctly calibrate your rifle is with some MK VII ball ammo. Any other be it manufactured or homeloads then all bets are off. Then using the Battle Sight it should be about 6" high at 100 yards. I'm not sure of the aiming conventions for other militaries, but for Britain it was a centre mass hold as opposed to a six o'clock hold.

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up over this. Just work out where it shoots relative to the markings on the sight. Or go by clicks as 1 click equals 1 minute for the milled rear sight.

Muzzle upward pressure doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference as long as there is some.

A bit more oomph in your rounds, a centre mass hold and perhaps a change of blade and you should be close enough. There can't be a lot wrong with your rifle if it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards.