Martini Carbine quandary

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Martini Carbine quandary

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

If it is only the barrel that has been 'deactivated' you can have a .303 barrel profiled, chambered and fitted to the rifle and then sent to Proof so giving you a rifle to last another 100 years. About the only issue I can think of is MH barrels can be quite tight to remove. (I was on a particularly stubborn one this week) The good news is the barrel would be easier to remove if it was to be replaced.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#12 Post by JS569 »

Ovenpaa wrote:If it is only the barrel that has been 'deactivated' you can have a .303 barrel profiled, chambered and fitted to the rifle and then sent to Proof so giving you a rifle to last another 100 years. About the only issue I can think of is MH barrels can be quite tight to remove. (I was on a particularly stubborn one this week) The good news is the barrel would be easier to remove if it was to be replaced.
What sort of money is involved in doing that Ovenpaa? IS it possible to keep the original sights etc on the rifle?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes you can re-fit the original sights. Cost is down to barrel and my preference is Lothar Walther however other makes are available. You need to allow for barrel, profiling, chambering, fit the sights, decent blacking and Proofing. Also it is worth thinking about exactly how you would like the barrel stamped up, you can duplicate some of original markings other tan Proof marks for obvious reasons. My view is budget for around GBP750.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal