Spencer Repeating rifle

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Spencer Repeating rifle

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

Any experts on these old rifles? I've got a hankering for one ever since watching The Unforgiven. usflag.gif
I understand they are an obsolete caliber .52 cal rimfire so no chance of firing one.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Spencer Repeating rifle

#2 Post by Sim G »

Chiappa make a reproduction Spencer. It’s availabke in a number of caliber such as .44-40, .45 Colt and others. They even make a .56-50 which is actually a modern take on the .56-56 rimfire, but the modern cartridge is centrefire.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8eQmTUHzeU

InRange compare 1860 spencer with an 1860 Henry
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC16739.JPG

I have a Chiappa Spencer carbine in 44-40 Win, shown here with my Mod 1892 Rossi and Midland Gun Co. .22 conversion.

It is very well made with a good oil blued finish and is very accurate with cast bullets. ( I have never put jacketed bullets through it)

It came with a custom hard case numbered to the rifle.

All in all, a great little carbine that is fun to shoot.

ukrifleman.
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by Vossie »

UKRifleman

I know that this is an old post but I am due to pick up a Chiappa Spencer carbine in 44-40 win in next couple of days.
Have you found it to be fussy on ammo, especially around ejection. I know there is not a lot of choice and I am likely to reload once I have a decent batch.
Many thanks
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

Vossie wrote:UKRifleman

I know that this is an old post but I am due to pick up a Chiappa Spencer carbine in 44-40 win in next couple of days.
Have you found it to be fussy on ammo, especially around ejection. I know there is not a lot of choice and I am likely to reload once I have a decent batch.
Many thanks
The trick with a Spencer is to work the lever smartly up and down in one motion without pause.
If you do this, there should be no issues with either feeding a round from the tube magazine or with ejection of spent cases.

I only used cast reloads using a 200gn .427 RNFP bullet and Starline brass, both obtained from Henry Krank.

PM also sent.
ukrifleman
Vossie

#7 Post by Vossie »

UK Rifleman

Many thanks, would you suggest making the the boolits straight off the bat rather than buying factory. I tend to only reload after building up.a batch of empty cases.
I ask due to there not being a great deal of choice, only found magtech in my area.

Cheers
Vossie

#8 Post by Vossie »

Sorry my PM is not up.and running yet
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#9 Post by ukrifleman »

Vossie wrote:UK Rifleman

Many thanks, would you suggest making the the boolits straight off the bat rather than buying factory. I tend to only reload after building up.a batch of empty cases.
I ask due to there not being a great deal of choice, only found magtech in my area.

Cheers
I bought my cast bullets for the Spencer, as Krank sell GM cast for £44/500 sized and lubed and for the amount I shot the carbine, it saved me yet another calibre to cast for, plus they performed well. (I already cast for 16 other calibres!) .

I would say that whether you want to tool up and cast .44 bullets when they are available sized and lubed at around 11p each is down to personal choice!

Whichever route you choose, you will get a lot of pleasure from that little carbine.

ukrifleman.
Vossie

#10 Post by Vossie »

Cheers thank you for your advice much appreciated goodjob