Mosin Nagant turned down bolt handle

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dirtydawk
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre Gun Club. Teesdale Pistol & Rifle

Mosin Nagant turned down bolt handle

#1 Post by dirtydawk »

Hi everyone- I have a PU scoped Mosin Nagant 91/30 and I have a problem with the turned down bolt handle. The bolt handle is becoming loose where it is brazed into the bolt body and will require a repair.
Can anyone please advise as to how I could get this repaired- do I need to go to a gunsmith, a welder/fabricator or a machine shop etc?
The last thing I want to do is to take it to the wrong place and end up with someone making a second rate repair on it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ian
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Re: Mosin Nagant turned down bolt handle

#2 Post by ukrifleman »

A rifle bolt is designated a `pressure part' and as such, cannot be left with anyone other than someone who has the appropriate variation to hold such an article.

You need to take it to a reputable gunsmith for repair.

ukrifleman
dirtydawk

#3 Post by dirtydawk »

ukrifleman wrote:A rifle bolt is designated a `pressure part' and as such, cannot be left with anyone other than someone who has the appropriate variation to hold such an article.

ukrifleman
Much obliged

Ian
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

ukrifleman wrote:A rifle bolt is designated a `pressure part' and as such, cannot be left with anyone other than someone who has the appropriate variation to hold such an article.

ukrifleman
Just out of curiosity as the actual bolt head (with bolt face, locking lugs and extractor) can be removed leaving the main bolt body with the cocking handle seperate would the main bolt body still be classed as a pressure bearing part?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dirtydawk

#5 Post by dirtydawk »

snayperskaya wrote:

ukrifleman
Just out of curiosity as the actual bolt head (with bolt face, locking lugs and extractor) can be removed leaving the main bolt body with the cocking handle seperate would the main bolt body still be classed as a pressure bearing part?.
Yeah that’s what had me wondering if I could just take the bolt body into an engineering company that we use at work. I suppose it’s not worth the risk though.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

you can take it to any welding fabricator your trust, deliver it, remain with it during the work & take it away after. Suggest silver solder or std braze so its not too hot. A welding fabricator may know a lot more about welding brazing etc than a gun smith. Possibly do it cash & dont supply address.

You may not need a re proof i didn't for a bolt arm replacement that was screw in brazed. Good luck
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
dirtydawk

#7 Post by dirtydawk »

hitchphil wrote:you can take it to any welding fabricator your trust, deliver it, remain with it during the work & take it away after. Suggest silver solder or std braze so its not too hot. A welding fabricator may know a lot more about welding brazing etc than a gun smith. Possibly do it cash & dont supply address.

You may not need a re proof i didn't for a bolt arm replacement that was screw in brazed. Good luck
Thanks Phil- I must confess to not even thinking of remaining there while the repair was being carried out.

Regards

Ian
dave_303

#8 Post by dave_303 »

snayperskaya wrote:

ukrifleman
Isn’t the lug the bolt handle is attached to a safety lug and therefore pressure bearing?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

dave_303 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:

ukrifleman
Isn’t the lug the bolt handle is attached to a safety lug and therefore pressure bearing?
Thinking about it I suppose it would be.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dahonis

#10 Post by Dahonis »

I did enquire a couple of years ago about having the bolt turned down, a local gun smith said he could do it but it would need to be sent to the proof house as it would of been a modified pressure part. II dont know anything about such things and didn't get it done in the end.