1895 Winchester.303

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

1895 Winchester.303

#1 Post by pe4king »

Following on from SimG’s thread on British military Winchester’s, well it isn’t exactly military but it is in the more British than a British thing .303 it is a sporting rifle with a 28” barrel made in 1904 the condition is excellent and I love it to bits.
Attachments
38A715D5-4AD6-49C6-BFB6-E1AC60706DDF.jpeg
8955CCD5-B3F7-4418-B5BA-EF6651D0D18A.jpeg
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: 1895 Winchester.303

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

Very nice indeed :good:

I'd love one of the Russian contract rifles that were chambered in 7.62x54r but the few I have seen have commanded a high price.Out of curiosity can the .303 be loaded with stripper clips?, I believe the 54r rifles can be loaded using the same stripper clips as the Mosin.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
pe4king

#3 Post by pe4king »

Yes I would have really liked one of the military contract rifles but alas they are unicorn pooh maybe less if you have deeper pockets as for stripper clip loading no they well the .303 versions couldn't be, the round is placed in case head first i.e. the bullet pointing up from the receiver and then rotated to lay it down into the mag, this is a clever way as not to encounter "rim lock" I just have another 8 days to go now to try it grrrrr
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

pe4king wrote:Yes I would have really liked one of the military contract rifles but alas they are unicorn pooh maybe less if you have deeper pockets as for stripper clip loading no they well the .303 versions couldn't be, the round is placed in case head first i.e. the bullet pointing up from the receiver and then rotated to lay it down into the mag, this is a clever way as not to encounter "rim lock" I just have another 8 days to go now to try it grrrrr
The dreaded rim lock!!!........if I had a quid for every person I've seen struggle with rim locked Mosins I could have a week off work! lol

Keep us posted on how it shoots :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

Fantastic rifle you have Pe4king :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
TomEnfield
Home club or Range: LERA

#6 Post by TomEnfield »

Lovley rifle. Is it set up for MKVI or MKVII .303?
pe4king

#7 Post by pe4king »

I’m not sure yet but being manufactured in 1904 my guess would be Mk Vl
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The are beautifully made rifles and one is on my list of rifles to own one day :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
pe4king

#9 Post by pe4king »

I will be testing it on Saturday but only on an ETR range, to be honest blanks would do lol
pe4king

#10 Post by pe4king »

Had a try out on Saturday using PPU factory ammunition, even with a very low sun in my eyes still dropping fig 11’s out to 300m so very happy