1944-dated Mosin PU sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

1944-dated Mosin PU sniper

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

I picked up my new to me Mosin yesterday and to say I'm pleased is an understatement!.

She is a 1944-dated Izhevsk Arsenal PU sniper with all matching serial numbers.The scope is a 1940-dated example produced at the NKV No.357 "Progress" Plant in Leningrad (prior to the plant relocating to Omsk due to the Siege of Leningrad) and is actually a SVT-40 scope.Early PU scopes prior to '42 were all SVT scopes and it is not uncommon to find them used on later Mosin snipers, many of them had the elevation drum changed due to the difference in POI between a SVT and a Mosin but mine appears to be unaltered which is relatively rare.

The scope and mount are matched to the rifle, the bolt/cocking handle are machined from one piece of steel (bolt handle is cut and a bent one fitted and welded on "reproduction" rifles) and everything is absolutely spot on.The previous owner apparently had it for around 30 years and I don't think it has been used a lot, if at all, in that time as there was still a fair bit of Cosmoline on her and the rifling/bore are perfect as is the crown as it hasn't been counter-bored like a lot of Arsenal refurb'd Mosins have been.

Will post some more photos at some point but here's one of her meeting my 1926 Izhevsk Arsenal ex-Dragoon for the first time today.....

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: 1944-dated Mosin PU sniper

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Very nice addition Tovarisch! Hopefully she plays nicely with sister Dragoon!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:Very nice addition Tovarisch! Hopefully she plays nicely with sister Dragoon!
Had to split her and the Dragunov up!, both behaving like a pair of diva's! :p

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Dahonis

#4 Post by Dahonis »

Nice looking rifle, one day i will be “allowed” to buy one.

Until then, I look on with envy green55 :run:
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

That sounds like a nice purchase, and these days, a bit of a rare find I suspect, so no wonder you're chuffed with that cheers
Blighty

#6 Post by Blighty »

All matching, on a refurb?

Sorry. Being a bugger.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:All matching, on a refurb?

Sorry. Being a bugger.
Uncommon but not unheard of, apparently how much work was done on an individual rifle depended on the condition it was in to start with so a rifle that needed little or no work doing could pass through the process, be stamped as refurb'd but retain its matching numbered parts whereas a heavily used rifle could end up with quite a few new, or force-matched parts and often from different Arsenals

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

snayperskaya wrote:
Blighty wrote:All matching, on a refurb?

Sorry. Being a bugger.
Uncommon but not unheard of, apparently how much work was done on an individual rifle depended on the condition it was in to start with so a rifle that needed little or no work doing could pass through the process, be stamped as refurb'd but retain its matching numbered parts whereas a heavily used rifle could end up with quite a few new, or force-matched parts and often from different Arsenals
I should have added that the only refurb mark I have found on it is a single 1959-dated 2nd GRAU Arsenal Kiev stamp on the scope body and none at all in the usual places on the barrel shank and stock.

Blighty

#9 Post by Blighty »

Rare bird if all matching. Cyrillic script in front of each number, same font, no electro pencilled numbers anywhere including the scope mount? Correct configuration of the woodwork?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:Rare bird if all matching. Cyrillic script in front of each number, same font, no electro pencilled numbers anywhere including the scope mount? Correct configuration of the woodwork?
After sending loads of photos to a gentleman in the States that is very knowledgeable when it comes to Mosins and Mosin snipers in particular it appears I have a genuine PU sniper that falls within the range of known snipers but it has been through a refurb, below is his assessment of it based on the photos I sent him.

"
Thanks for the photos, after viewing them I'm pleased to tell you that your PU is definitely original, and although it has been through the arsenal refurbishment program it falls in the known block of snipers:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...30-sniper-list

The original scope serial would have been on the left side of the shank where that faint number 4 is. It appears to have been removed and it was common to have that done or lined out when passing through the refurb process.On the barrel shank between the Soviet crest and the date there appears to be a partial refurb stamp which looks as though it is a box with a x (same as the mark on the scope body) and would indicate that it was refurbed at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal located in Kiev.

The magazine floor plate is a force matched part that once belonged to a different rifle, although it is nice that the serial number is stamped rather than electro-pencilled.

The box with the x and the 1959 date on the scope indicates that the scope was refurbished when the rifle was refurbished.The scope is indeed a genuine 1940 NKV No.357 "Progress" Plant SVT scope which retains it's original SVT calibrated elevation drum.The giveaways that it is genuine are the crisp edges to the Soviet star above the date, the fact it has a dated known refurb stamp and inspectors stamps between the windage and elevation turrets, the former is never as crisp on reproduction scopes and the latter two are never seen on repro's.The electro-pencilled serial number on the scope mount is original as this serial number was never stamped on genuine PU rifles, but is often mistakenly stamped on fake snipers.

The stock was also refurbished but appears to be the rifles original stock as the sling slot escutcheons are correct for the date of the rifle although unusually there appears to be no visible refurb mark, which are usually in the middle of the right side of the butt.

The black paint on the barrel bands and cleaning rod is typical for a mid to late '50s refurbed rifle.

All in all a honest pretty typical example of an original 1944 PU with one force matched part which is pretty good going compared to some"

Even though it has been refurbed I'm still very pleased with it and for what I paid for it I definitely can't complain! :good: