Thinking of going down the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser road.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

Re: Thinking of going down the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser road.

#11 Post by Gundog »

You say ‘expensive’ how much is expensive, I haven’t looked into values just yet, merely trying to evaluate what to look out for and make up my mind what to purchase.

I suppose I should be looking on a pre-mentioned website that’s cropped up a couple of times in your posts!

Values are values if I don’t like what I see or it doesn’t come up to my standards I walk away, but if everything is 100% genuine and honest who knows what the outcome could be.

What should I look out for with condition ?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

I have sold most of my Swedes and just have a 96 with the correct apertures and hand guard for the 300 meter shooting that the reserves do. I also have an 38, all original

Nice original condition rifles seem scarce at the moment be on the watch for refurbs too nice bluing and the woodwork stamps missing or soft as the wood has been worked.

Inspect barrel condition if you want the legendary Swede accuracy as there seem to be some dogs around now coming from the auction houses. Muzzle wear is usually pretty obvious be throat wear can be hard to detect and this can effect accuracy in the swede with its long slim bullets, take no notice of the stock discs barrel condition marks as they will have little relevance to the barrels current condition.

I have all the Swede models in my collection and the only ones that I didn't get on with was the snipers, like the Mosin the scopes are mounted really high and getting a good cheek weld was nigh impossible even with the correct spec leather cheek piece so they went the journey. Open sights are just fine but you do need to be shooting at the correct targets to get the best from them. Apertures work great on round bulls and post and notch work fine on tin hats but not vice versa.

With so little choice driving up prices the cobbled together boys are putting refurbs and bitsers out there now, nothing wrong with such guns if they are sold as such and don't demand the prices nice originals do and can be a cheap way of getting a good shooter but most seem to be done to be passed of as originals so caveat emptor, do your research, Dana's book is worth having even although things have moved on since it was written, a nice original with a good shooting bore should be in the £400-£500 range for 96s and 38s, obviously snipers and 94s command a premium, i sold my last 94 last year and do regret it. Do not buy blind.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gundog

#13 Post by Gundog »

Thank you for your swift reply, it does make me feel just a little inadequate as far as my knowledge is concerned. I have been reading the books available, have two copies of the “Crown Jewels” one first edition and a later copy plus other books that are still available trying to build up my knowledge on the subject as well as using the internet!
You are so very right about the fact that some unscrupulous vendors are faking the more expensive end of not just the ‘Swedes’ but of other popular firearms.
So many Swedes for sale around the globe particularly across the pond that are such obvious fakes, even in our own green and pleasant land I find them, “caveat emptor” I am hopefully doing my research with help such as yours and the other members who have been contributing to my knowledge via the forum, it’s the “tiny snippets of knowledge” that usually points unfavourably at the “fakes”.

If I have read the rules of the forum correctly I shouldn’t perhaps be asking you, until I have more than 15 posts, if you know of anyone with a totally 100% genuine m41 or m41/B that maybe willing to part with it? I’m thinking seriously with ‘Macular Degeneration’ (not 20/20 vision in your average retired person, I think it’s just an age thing needing reading glasses) that the scoped version really is my best option!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

Gundog wrote:I think it’s just an age thing needing reading glasses) that the scoped version really is my best option!
I hear you on that.

I can 'just' about shoot my battle rifles at 100 yrds with the battle sights........but anything further and no chance, and why I'm much happier shooting my No.4T at distances beyond 100 yrds and why I've going to have my K98 'scoped'.
GeeRam

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Accumount in the USA make a very good repro scope mount set so you could 'make' a M41/B repro if a real one was beyond budget.....?

https://www.accumounts.com/swedish-mauser.html
GeeRam

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Bolt Open Classics currently have a few scoped M96 for sale....

https://boltopenclassics.com/military-rifles
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#17 Post by meles meles »

This one, though now sold, will give an idea of current prices

http://highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerm ... e/0145.htm

If you can't find a Swedish Mauser, a Swiss K31 might be an interesting alternative for you.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Gundog

#18 Post by Gundog »

I do know about Accumounts and their products but didn’t really want to down that route if possible, I’m not against clones so long as the price reflects their value and are stated to be a clone.

Thanks GeeRam for your help and suggestions and I’ve had a look at the website you mentioned.

I do shoot a P14 clone with overbore mounted scope.
Gundog

#19 Post by Gundog »

Thank you for your price guide melee melee that was kind of you that particular website does have some nice things.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#20 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC17766.JPG
SDC17768.JPG
There are some `good` ones out there!

I bought this unissued/ unfired arsenal refurb several years ago from Fenland rural sports with a 2013 Birmingham proof.

I have since fitted a Vasteras rear sight insert and it is a superb shooter.

ukrifleman