Mosin Nagant trigger pull improvement

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: Mosin Nagant trigger pull improvement

#11 Post by Lancs Lad »

WelshShooter wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:I managed to acquire one of the Finnish triggers which I fitted to my M38 carbine and it made a HUGE difference.
It must have been around 5 years ago since then but I recall that in total, it cost around £18 for the trigger and postage.
Took about 10 minutes to fit it.

:flag13: LL
Is that the one with a mouse trap spring? My M24 Finnish Mosina has one of these triggers and they're great.

I don't recall tbh. I've since sold the rifle but it certainly made the whole experience of shooting the mosin an awful lot better. I sourced it from the chap in Finland and as our comrade stated earlier, the purchase was both easy and quick.

:flag13: LL
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#12 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Thankyou to ukrifleman for the web link "Very Good". Followed it a couple of time`s and then got to work, also fitted a return spring from the wife's hair clip. Measured using my Poundland baggage spring weight gauge, I now have a 4LBS trigger pull and I am very happy with that. It seems very much lighter and break`s clean without that heavy drag. I think the 2LBS I was trying to achieve would have been to light a pull, and I could have had problem with the bolt going through the action using the original trigger set up.
Suppose I could achieve better results using a Timney but at £155 and thought better of it.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#13 Post by ukrifleman »

snayperskaya wrote:
ukrifleman wrote:I copied the method in the following video and my 1944 PU now has a crisp 3.5lb trigger pull.

ukrifleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM
My PU is a '44 as well, whats the two letter prefix at the start of the serial number?.
My rifle is a 1944 Izhevsk PU, re-arsenaled in the Ukraine and the serial No. is rH 70**
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

ukrifleman wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
ukrifleman wrote:I copied the method in the following video and my 1944 PU now has a crisp 3.5lb trigger pull.

ukrifleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM
My PU is a '44 as well, whats the two letter prefix at the start of the serial number?.
My rifle is a 1944 Izhevsk PU, re-arsenaled in the Ukraine and the serial No. is rH 70**
Mine is a '44 Izhevsk, also refurb'd at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in Kiev, Ukraine, it was refurb'd in '59.Mine is LB 34**, the LB is translated from the Cyrillic alpha prefix as I can't post in Cyrillic on here......

There is a post on the Gunboards forum where there is a database of known Izhevsk 91/30 snipers, they were all produced in serial-numbered batches specifically as snipers using a different alpha prefix, which the two Cyrillic letters before the serial number, for each batch.These alpha prefixes weren't used on standard infantry rifles.

I've had a look on there and there is one on the list that's '44-dated with the number rH 7082.....probably made on the same day as yours!.Translated your alpha prefix is "GN"
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Blighty

#15 Post by Blighty »

You could try to track one of these triggers down.
Attachments
B1F20C14-62B9-44DD-BC2C-A80AF0FFFC78.jpeg
B1F20C14-62B9-44DD-BC2C-A80AF0FFFC78.jpeg (18.46 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
EEB461F8-DCCC-42C6-BCAB-95D5681569D3.jpeg
EEB461F8-DCCC-42C6-BCAB-95D5681569D3.jpeg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#16 Post by ukrifleman »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Thankyou to ukrifleman for the web link "Very Good". Followed it a couple of time`s and then got to work, also fitted a return spring from the wife's hair clip. Measured using my Poundland baggage spring weight gauge, I now have a 4LBS trigger pull and I am very happy with that. It seems very much lighter and break`s clean without that heavy drag. I think the 2LBS I was trying to achieve would have been to light a pull, and I could have had problem with the bolt going through the action using the original trigger set up.
Suppose I could achieve better results using a Timney but at £155 and thought better of it.

Good to know that it also worked for you, (impressed with the hair clip dodge!!)
ukrifleman
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#17 Post by ukrifleman »

I've had a look on there and there is one on the list that's '44-dated with the number rH 7082.....probably made on the same day as yours!.Translated your alpha prefix is "GN"

Many thanks for the info.

ukrifleman
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#18 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:You could try to track one of these triggers down.
Is that a M28/76 trigger?, the scope mount block looks like a 28/76

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Blighty

#19 Post by Blighty »

27/66.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:27/66.
Told you I wasn't clued up on the Finnish Mosins :oops: ;)