2 rifles for me

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

Re: 2 rifles for me

#11 Post by Ncb2734 »

snayperskaya wrote:Nice Tula, with it being a '36 it may be worth removing the stock and having a look at the date stamp on the underside of the rear tang.Despite round receivers being adopted in 1930 for the M91/30 variant round receiver production at Tula didn't start until '36 ('35 at Izhevsk) and it is possible that your hex receiver is actually dated earlier than '36.

Has it got matching serial numbers?.
Dear Tang Has *35. . I take it is a1935 model
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

Ncb2734 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Nice Tula, with it being a '36 it may be worth removing the stock and having a look at the date stamp on the underside of the rear tang.Despite round receivers being adopted in 1930 for the M91/30 variant round receiver production at Tula didn't start until '36 ('35 at Izhevsk) and it is possible that your hex receiver is actually dated earlier than '36.

Has it got matching serial numbers?.
Dear Tang Has *35. . I take it is a1935 model
Yes mate, the receiver was made in 1935 :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ncb2734

#13 Post by Ncb2734 »

Having looked at the barrel there is only one strike mark across it and the receiver. So looks like original barrel too. Cleaned off years of crud from inside the stock. No pitting on the barrel. All matching serial numbers including the firing pin. Cleaned and reassembled. Looking forward to shooting it Friday
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

Ncb2734 wrote:Having looked at the barrel there is only one strike mark across it and the receiver. So looks like original barrel too. Cleaned off years of crud from inside the stock. No pitting on the barrel. All matching serial numbers including the firing pin. Cleaned and reassembled. Looking forward to shooting it Friday
Do you mean the bolt serial number?, I've never seen a Mosin firing pin that's serial-numbered.The '36 barrel will be original, it would have been mated to the '35-dated receiver when the rifle was put together in 1936.

Are the serial numbers on the barrel shank, mag floorplate, bolt body and butt plate all stamped in exactly the same font?, and is there a refurb mark on the stock?

The refurb mark, if it has one and the majority do, will usually be on the right side of the stock and is most likely a small plain square or a square with a diagonal line through it.If it is a Tula stock there is usually a star mark on the right side to.If it's a pre-war stock it will have the sling slot escutcheons retained with two small screws on each one.

Here's a a couple of very good Mosin reference sites, if you haven't seen them already.....

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/default.asp
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ncb2734

#15 Post by Ncb2734 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Ncb2734 wrote:Having looked at the barrel there is only one strike mark across it and the receiver. So looks like original barrel too. Cleaned off years of crud from inside the stock. No pitting on the barrel. All matching serial numbers including the firing pin. Cleaned and reassembled. Looking forward to shooting it Friday
Do you mean the bolt serial number?, I've never seen a Mosin firing pin that's serial-numbered.The '36 barrel will be original, it would have been mated to the '35-dated receiver when the rifle was put together in 1936.my bad only mauser has pin stamped

Are the serial numbers on the barrel shank, mag floorplate, bolt body and butt plate all stamped in exactly the same font?, and is there a refurb mark on the stock? same font on all parts you mentioned No re-furb mark on stock

The refurb mark, if it has one and the majority do, will usually be on the right side of the stock and is most likely a small plain square or a square with a diagonal line through it.If it is a Tula stock there is usually a star mark on the right side to.If it's a pre-war stock it will have the sling slot escutcheons retained with two small screws on each one.

Here's a a couple of very good Mosin reference sites, if you haven't seen them already.....

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/default.asp

Pre War stock with sling slot escutcheons as described. Only other visible marks in pictures attached.

Thanks for the links. Always great to learn something new :good:
Attachments
IMG_20190525_124255.jpg
IMG_20190525_124307.jpg
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#16 Post by Daryll »

bnz41 wrote:
Sim G wrote:New gun day is always a good day!! Many traders at Phoenix?

I went today for ammo. Several empty tables some traders only do Saturday & Sunday.

Bob from SGC showing the new lever action carbine to replace the lever release, sadly looked awful but he has to try and fill the gap in his product range.

Sorry to reply on your behalf Ncb2734.

I went today (Sat), and there were still a couple of empty tables..

I took my son for his first visit to Bisley to do some shopping and we were leaving I asked his impressions... he said he expected there to be more trade stands...