Really old? Or just old?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Really old? Or just old?

#1 Post by steve853 »

So I was looking through the rifles on Henry Krank’s website, and I see they have both No4 and some SMLE.
My last rifle was a No4 mk1, and I’m wondering how much different the SMLE is to shoot, I’m sure there’s people who own both, any advice?

Steve
England Prevails
Rockhopper

Re: Really old? Or just old?

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

One big difference is that the rear sight on the SMLE is halfway down the barrel which makes it challenging for older shooters with less than perfect eye sight.
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#3 Post by JS569 »

Whilst they share similar naming conventions they are different rifles with their own quirks and unique way of pushing a lump of lead really fast.

The No1 MkIII has a lighter barrel, full wood stock and is more difficult to manufacture as it required more complicated machining cuts. With the nose cap, that was designed to support the bayonet, the harmonics of the barrel are different as well as the balance point, and coupled with a slightly trigger mechanism (IIRC) they do feel and handle differently.

In my opinion, the No4 is a better users rifle in respect to the sights and better accuracy - not that I feel that really comes into play that much. However, I prefer the No1 MkIII as a piece of history and for its looks as well as I feel it's a handier rifle being a bit shorter. What you have to remember is that there's roughly 30-40yrs of development between the two rifles, unless you buy a WW2 dated No1, most now are easily pushing 100 years old or more so are likley to be feeling a little worn in places.

I have No1, No4 and No5, they'll all different, because, weight, site radius, stock length etc all culminate to create a slightly different experience. All in all I like them all the same :)
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

I have a 1942 Maltby No4 Mk1 and a 1942 Lithgow No1 Mk111* and I have to agree with Rockhopper that the shorter sight radius on the No.1 Mk.111 can be more of a challenge.

Having said that, I think it's down to personal preference.

Personally, I prefer the `feel` of the No.1 Mk.111 as it somehow seems more solid, but that's just me.
ukrifleman.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Buy a Mosin* ussrflag :run:

*Sorry, couldn't resist!.......I'll get my coat.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

ukrifleman wrote:I have a 1942 Maltby No4 Mk1 and a 1942 Lithgow No1 Mk111* and I have to agree with Rockhopper that the shorter sight radius on the No.1 Mk.111 can be more of a challenge.
Yes, and its why as much as I love the sweeter bolt action on the SMLE, I can't shoot them for toffee with that sight picture and my eyes, and as much as I'd love a nice pre-1915 SMLE to keep company with my No.4T and No.5, it would get very little if any use.
steve853

#7 Post by steve853 »

Rockhopper wrote:One big difference is that the rear sight on the SMLE is halfway down the barrel which makes it challenging for older shooters with less than perfect eye sight.
Blimey, do you know me already? Blind Pugh here! I hadn’t thought of that, I had better check one out in person.

I do like the idea of the history of the SMLE, and my old No4 was lovely to shoot. I guess it’s possible to get both?
England Prevails
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

:-) I shot my SMLE in a service rifle thing a while back and the chap i was shooting with was telling thats why most older shooters use a No4 or a P14.
shotgun sam

#9 Post by shotgun sam »

Buy an SMLE (World War One versions) a piece of history which are getting harder to get a good one.
No4's are more readily available.
Here is my 1917 SMLE great fun to shoot and I have a lot for another 303 which will be a world war two No4
Attachments
smle.jpg
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
steve853

#10 Post by steve853 »

shotgun sam wrote:Buy an SMLE (World War One versions) a piece of history which are getting harder to get a good one.
That’s what I was thinking Sam, 4 great-grandads had the SMLE, both granddads had the N4. I think I need to search around and get both.
England Prevails