Bren gun too accurate - myth ?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

Re: Bren gun too accurate - myth ?

#41 Post by Alan D »

breacher wrote:I remember reading another similar story in a novel I read years ago. Set in Vietnam, the author referred to using a round file horizontally across the muzzle of his M16 to create what he called a "boars tooth". And this was supposed to make the bullet tumble a LOT. Now, that one surely must be myth or creativity on the part of the author ?
I haven't heard that one before.....

Used across the flash eliminator, minimal effect, used across the crown, well, it would turn an AR into a Sten gun, you would be lucky to hit a barn door at 100 yds!
rufrdr

#42 Post by rufrdr »

breacher wrote:I remember reading another similar story in a novel I read years ago. Set in Vietnam, the author referred to using a round file horizontally across the muzzle of his M16 to create what he called a "boars tooth". And this was supposed to make the bullet tumble a LOT. Now, that one surely must be myth or creativity on the part of the author ?
Nonsense supreme.

However, GI's did use the open flash suppressor on M16s to break the metal band on C ration boxes. Insert band between two prongs of the flash suppressor, grasp rifle firmly, twist. That, and using the barrel as a pry bar didn't do the rifle much favors!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#43 Post by Maggot »

rufrdr wrote:
Nonsense supreme.

However, GI's did use the open flash suppressor on M16s to break the metal band on C ration boxes. Insert band between two prongs of the flash suppressor, grasp rifle firmly, twist. That, and using the barrel as a pry bar didn't do the rifle much favors!
The AR15 was originally trialled with the montangard under US advisers. They used to have trouble handling the M14s, but the AR was obviously better suited. They created some hideous injuries, well out of line with what you might expect with the small calibre. They attributed this to the ( then) 55gr bullet tumbling on impact.

As regards the Bren ( or LMG in 7.62 NATO), I have carried and fired both .303 and 7.62, as well as the GPMG.

I think it's a case of comparison. Its rival at the time was the MG34. Known for it's high rate of fire. I have it on good authority that the GPMG owed a bit to the 34, but the one real minus of the Bren was a comparatively low rate of fire and 30rd box mags. The Bren chugged...so more accurate placement was likely, designed or otherwise. Both the Bren and the GPMG were used in light, mounted, AAAD or SF role. In any ground role the idea is to provide suppressive fire and create a beaten zone ( bit like long bows or the old volley fire idea). In the SF role proper, you would see the ground literally churn as the rounds boiled in and you would be changing barrels. In the AAAD role, you hosed the aircraft in a spiral manner. With 1 bit tracer this ideally scared the hell out of the pilot and at least beat the attack off. Normally we would use a 4 gun box together. I think the question is less of accuracy and more to do with flexibility and suitability. Once the disintegrating belt fired guns became available, the Bren was on the back foot. I am not sure if the stellite lined barrels were about when the Bren was designed, but that development would also have lead to coping with higher rates of fire.
rufrdr

#44 Post by rufrdr »

Maggot wrote:
rufrdr wrote:
Nonsense supreme.

The AR15 was originally trialled with the montangard under US advisers. They used to have trouble handling the M14s, but the AR was obviously better suited. They created some hideous injuries, well out of line with what you might expect with the small calibre. They attributed this to the ( then) 55gr bullet tumbling on impact...

https://sofrep.com/specialoperations/ro ... ly-6-1964/

An early incident of combat with the AR15 (not M16) in Vietnam. Prior to this, most advisers carried M2 carbines or shotguns. Indigenous troops were armed with carbines or M1 rifles (much too large for the soldiers).

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#45 Post by kennyc »

kennyc wrote:at this point I would love to show the Bren gun scene in Carry on Sergeant, where Bob Monkhouse assembles one from parts in an admirably short time.....unfortunately some bugger has had it pulled because of copywrite wallhead
found it again, sorry but its on facebook https://www.facebook.com/carryonfilm/vi ... 871336418/

and like bus's

TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#46 Post by TRG-22 »

On the few occasions I got to fire a Bren I don't remember being afflicted by an excess of accuracy. Ditto L7 gimpy.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
tony213
Home club or Range: Derby Rifle and pistol club, Offas Dyke Rifle Club

#47 Post by tony213 »

breacher wrote:I remember reading the story about the Bren Gun being too accurate ( for its role ) and WW2 soldiers tampered with the muzzle crown to broaden its cone of fire.

Myth ?
Hi i used one or rather the later version in 7.62x51 and found it incredibly accurate despite being well used and i mean used, once you were used to it you could fire single shots on full auto - and as a plus point we shared the same round in the L1A1 SLR , and the bren mag would fit the SLR . Exceptional weapon in many ways, we upgraded to the GPMG afterwards was ok if you had a 7.5 ton truck to carry the ammo or employ donkeys to carry (sorry lads if any old timers watching)
tony213
Home club or Range: Derby Rifle and pistol club, Offas Dyke Rifle Club

#48 Post by tony213 »

Webley wrote:On the ammo loading comment I recall reading somewhere that for the manufacture of some military rounds, the machines were calibrated before each run. The first X number of rounds were given to the snipers, then next part of the batch to the general infantry and the last of the batch went for the machine gunners. The theory being that the machines would get out of tolerance over the course of the batch running through. I can't recall which ammo/country/time period this was though.

Matt
hi the first batch of rounds made were more blueprint rounds and were marked "green spot" and yes issued to snipers. occasionally some come on the market but rare and expensive .