Bren gun too accurate - myth ?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Bren gun too accurate - myth ?

#1 Post by breacher »

I remember reading the story about the Bren Gun being too accurate ( for its role ) and WW2 soldiers tampered with the muzzle crown to broaden its cone of fire.

Myth ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Bren gun too accurate - myth ?

#2 Post by Andy632 »

Myth, no such thing as a too accurate gun.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

I've heard this also. I also heard the rounds were loaded with three different charges so there was some "spread"
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Never heard of the different loads myth before, standard ammo for the Bren was the .303 Mk7 ball round. It would have been a logistical nightmare to have mixed loaded ball ammo.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

Only people who have never fired a light machine gun would ever say it was too accurate.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Never heard that mentioned during all the conversations with WW2 vets that were Bren gunners, my late father included.
I did hear that the ever enterprising Aussie's increased the rate of fire of there's, I think from memory by replacing the return spring from something else, from what exactly has escaped my dulled aging memory though.... 8-)
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#7 Post by waterford103 »

I fired both .303 and the 7.62 updated ones both very accurate but not better than the service rifle of the time .I short bursts , double tap or triple it was very consistent and hits on fig 11s were easily possible out to 600 yds but never forget that it was / is , a machine gun firing from an open bolt Barrel changes had to be made frequently when on sustained fire but it was a very reliable gun . I liked the gun but not the weight , you deffo needed a second man to carry all the ammo and spare barrel.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

The L4A4 was a very accurate gun considering the change barrel facility and the open bolt mechanism. I liked it, liked it a lot. But how you could have differently loaded ammunition for the same gun is not believable. I certainly know that wasn’t the case with the L4 and WW2 production of ammo, no way...

The recent thread on a scoped MG42.... would be an interesting comparison.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by Webley »

On the ammo loading comment I recall reading somewhere that for the manufacture of some military rounds, the machines were calibrated before each run. The first X number of rounds were given to the snipers, then next part of the batch to the general infantry and the last of the batch went for the machine gunners. The theory being that the machines would get out of tolerance over the course of the batch running through. I can't recall which ammo/country/time period this was though.

Matt
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

There was a scene in "Siege of Jadotville" where the Irish UN Peacekeepers were defending a compound and decided to use their Bren gun in single fire for a long distance shot instead of using their No4 Mk1 (T). Not sure if it's true or Hollywood "artistic licence" but thought it would be interesting to add to this thread.