No 5 Lee Enfield kick

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: No 5 Lee Enfield kick

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote:
Musclebob wrote:I shoot a M84 Trapdoor with service loads (45-70 500gr @1350fps) and it is fairly punishing if not held correctly.

I’m looking at getting a Lee Enfield and, cos I’m a difficult person, I’m thinking of either a CLLE or a No5.

However I hear horror stories about the kick of the No5. Is it as bad as people make out?

It hurts if you're 12. Or a size 8 female, or a eight stone bloke with a 32" chest....

And unless you screen name is ironic, you'll be fine.
I took my Mrs's nephew to the range with me the other month on a guest day and he is probably about 5ft nothing and 8 stone p#ssed wet through and as thin as a pipe cleaner and he was offered a go of a Blaser R8 chambered in .458 Win Mag.I thought he'd have one go and that'd be enough for him but fair play he put five rounds through it in short order......I'm 6ft and 17 stone and one was enough for me! :oops:

I put it down to me having a less than positive experience with a scoped .404 Jeffrey and insufficient eye relief!!! wtf
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#12 Post by 450 Martini »

The kick on my No5 is not excessive, it's a little less than than a Martini-Henry and a little more than a No4/SMLE.
Mine does well with my normal PPU 174 grain FMJ and N140 reloads although i am curious about trying it with a cast load.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#13 Post by Alan D »

450 Martini wrote:The kick on my No5 is not excessive, it's a little less than than a Martini-Henry and a little more than a No4/SMLE.
Mine does well with my normal PPU 174 grain FMJ and N140 reloads although i am curious about trying it with a cast load.
Ever tried shooting rifle spec ammo through a Martini Carbine ... A mate of mine did after adding a mk11 to his FAC, before he realised there was a difference, I remember having a go and thinking, that just can't be right! Kicks like a very angry mule and makes your eye balls rattle!
Musclebob

#14 Post by Musclebob »

I ended up buying one. Nice little rifle. It’s got a stout recoil, but not as fearsome as sometimes advertised. Doubt I’d want to bench rest shoot it too much, but still no worse than a light 308 sporter.
rufrdr

#15 Post by rufrdr »

After shoulder surgery I purchased a wearable recoil pad. I used to snicker at the guys on the range who were wearing one but it makes an incredible difference in recoil management and I'm glad I got it. I usually wear it under an outer shirt to help keep it in place. It will tame the recoil of a #5 with no problem.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Musclebob

#16 Post by Musclebob »

I took it on a shoot and put around 170 rounds through it in a day. Nowhere near as scary as the internet would have me believe. Not a pussycat, but not that bad. Methinks a lot of people who complain about the kick are AR-15 users who aren’t used to a light rifle and don’t realise you need to shoulder and hold the rifle correctly in order to manage the recoil.
twotonealex
Home club or Range: Bisley

#17 Post by twotonealex »

So glad I stumbled across this thread, a no.5 is one of the first on my list, glad to hear the recoil isn't life changing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using "An application"
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Musclebob wrote:I shoot a M84 Trapdoor with service loads (45-70 500gr @1350fps) and it is fairly punishing if not held correctly.

I’m looking at getting a Lee Enfield and, cos I’m a difficult person, I’m thinking of either a CLLE or a No5.

However I hear horror stories about the kick of the No5. Is it as bad as people make out?
Whats a CLLE. ?
twotonealex
Home club or Range: Bisley

#19 Post by twotonealex »

Alpha1 wrote:

Whats a CLLE. ?
Charger Loading Lee Enfield I believe but not 100%!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using "An application"
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#20 Post by TattooedGun »

My wife put 10 shots through my No.5 on friday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBWO5bCgJiu/

Video shows the recoil.

Don't mind the look on her face as she pulls the trigger, it wasn't that bad and most of the worry was from the reputation.

She said she'd shoot it again no problem.